Piano Black Finish

J M O N

JMON,

email me your address, & I'll mail you the sample piece of plywood that I painted.

The gloss black paint looks best left alone. I can see my reflection in it.

The satin Laq. top coat dulls the finish, but makes it much smoother to the touch. I would try a gloss Laq. top coat to see how that looks. I didn't have any.

I brushed on the black gloss paint. What a pain in the butt to do it without seeing the brush strokes. This high gloss also shows all the minor imperfections in the plywood surface. You will have to first paint the plywood with a sanding sealer, and then sand with 220 grit. Then more sanding sealer & sand with 300 up to 400 grit. I didn't use any sanding sealer on my sample piece,you will see why it needs it first.You can see all the 220 grit scratches left in the plywood surface.

Three coats of the black paint with sanding in between them doesn't hide them.

If you can, do yourself a favor and use a spray gun, or try a few different brands of spray cans. I brushed mine ,because I assumed that's how you are going to do it.I wanted to see if it could be brushed on. Like I said, it can, but it will take a lot longer and a lot more work. This is more like an automotive finish and you wouldn't attempt to paint your car with a brush.

Buy the way, I'm no expert.

Later, Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 12-14-2001 at 07:30 PM

Q-Man:

Wow!! Thanks for your generosity! Your offer is the Klipsch Forum at its best -- members going out of their way to help other members. I will be sending you my address. Thanks!!

I have talked to you about my plans before. I have several speakers that I want to refinish because they all have different finishes. I really was hoping to refinish them in a dark cherry/mahogany type of color, but I figured the only way I can get them to look alike is to finish them in black. I really didn't want them to look like they were just painted black, I really want them to look nice. I figured if I can get that glossy piano black finish then I would be pretty happy. I have not started this project yet and probably won't for a while as I have had a bit of a detour to my original plans. I will try to practice on some scrap before actually trying it out on some Heresies. Then I will move on to the larger and more challenging speakers. Right now, I am just in the research and information gathering stage so I can determine the best way to tackle the job (or even determine if it's doable by an amateur).

JMON,

My son was looking at the sample last night. He now wants me to repaint my 3 pairs of LaScalas. He likes the high gloss look much better then the satin black finish that I used on two pairs of them. One of my pairs is still raw.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Q-Man:

Sounds like you may end up working on this before I do! You'll have to let me know how it goes if you do end up refinishing all your speakers. The La Scalas seem like they may be the toughest to do in the bass bin area. I have some as well and have been guesstimating that it could be difficult in that area.

My experience with high-gloss mirror like finishes is as follows:

If your veneer is an open grain such as oak, then you have to spray several coats of a grain-filling sealer and sand with 400 or 600 grit between each coat--somewhere between 6 and 8 coats should do it.

Then comes the black laquer--you'll have to spray about 10-15 coats and wet-sand with 400, then 600 between each coat. After the final coat, continue to wet sand (sparing amount of water) with 1000, 1500 and then 2000 grit paper.

Finally you'll finish this off with 2 or three grades of rubbing compound and then machine buff with a glazing compound.

A pair of Belles or La Scalas will take about 80 hours of labor over a 10 day to 3-week period to achieve a true "piano black" finish.

It really helps to have a spray booth-- I happen to have access to one and it makes all the difference--NO DUST!

After about 2-3 months, lay down a really good coat of Carnuba wax and then buff.

It can be done (I've done it--a 1930's Deco baby grand!), but it is a REAL MOTHER!

Good luck

quote:

Originally posted by Allan Songer:

It can be done (I've done it--a 1930's Deco baby grand!), but it is a REAL MOTHER!

Good luck

OMG! How long did that take!?Eek.gifConfused.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

Talk about devotion! We used to have a Baby Grand... we recently gave it away, twas a sad day, but we are supposed to be getting a new one, lets how so!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150