1990's Marantz questions

fanbrain

I found a Marantz SC-80 stereo pre-amp and two MA-22 40 watt monoblocks, champagne color for about $450. Is this a good deal? I haven't found much information on the MA-22's. I'm about to buy them, but is 40 watts enough? Right now I'm running KSF 10.5's but I'm looking to eventually purchase a three-way klipch system (KLF-30's or heritage).

Currently I run a Harman/Kardon AVR 135 with about 65 watts/channel. Eventually I want a dedicated 2-channel system. Is this a good start or should I keep looking.

I've changed my mind. I decided to skip on this one and wait until I can buy something better. I want my first 2 channel system to feature a tube amp.

One problem... I don't know anything about them. I like the idea of integrated amps. I don't want to spend thousands on anything yet. Maybe $500- 800 depending on what kind of market there is for that price range. What can I get for the money and where should I look?

For that money you should be able to get a nice Fisher 500B or 800 (recvr), a Scott, Eico or the like, refurbished and sounding great. Try Klipsch board member, NOSvalves website for some good conditon used tube equipment. There isn't anything in your price range right now but things change all the time. Another thing you might want to do is to pick up an older unit and send it to him for rehab.

NOSVALVES