Which surrounds for RF-3 II's?

Boodah

So here's my dilemma...I have a set of RF-3 IIs and have, until recently, been using them in conjunction with my Quintet system center and rears. I'd like to get some new surrounds and, eventually, a new center but obviously RS-3 II's haven't been manufactured in some time. Cost is a factor but I don't want something that's not going to match up well (believe me, the Quintets just can't keep up). I've looked at RS-35 and RS-25. The RS-25's are significantly less expensive than the RS-35s and I was wondering if anyone had done the RF-3/3 II + RS-25 combo and had any thoughts. What about any of the newer speaker lines? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum Boodah.

IMO, either would do, but I feel you would like the larger speaker more. BTW, Audiogon and E-bay have RS-3's all of the time. If you want to buy from a dealer, then I would find the best price on a pair of RS-35's on-line and then call your local dealer and tell them you are considering purchasing the pair you found, but just wanted to check and see if they could come close to matching that price. [;)] Good Luck.

Tis good advice. The best thing to do is be patient and see what surfaces on the market. Actively searching Audiogon and Ebay should yield you results within a month. Or if you wanna go the dealer route I would get on the phone and start calling all the local home audio stores. It might be possible that somewhere somehow there are new RS-3's still available. I've heard that the RF-35 sounds very similar to the RF-3's, so I would only imagine the RS-35's would also be a very good timbre match as well.

Thanks for all the reponses folks. In the room the equipment is located in I currently sit about 6'-8' away from the rears but this is all subject to change as we're planning on moving within the next year or so. I hadn't though of the RB series and I suppose that's worth looking into as well, but the design of them is far more directional than the RS series and I'm wondering if the "sweet spot" and ambience would suffer versus the design of the RS series. I'm a bit disappointed in that I found a really good deal on some RS-3 II's on eBay but, in the middle of bidding, had the ad pulled on me because it turned out to be an accidental duplicate posting by a broker of speakers someone had already bought in another auction. I spoke to them and they're really sorry and will call me if they happen to get any more but I'm sure it's doubtful since they were RS-3 II's still new in the box (what are the odds of that?)

Bummer!

How long out is the move? You might consider waiting it out until afterwards in the off chance you decide to go with something that won't work in the new home. Nothing sucks more than getting a good deal on something and then having to turn right around and sell it for a loss.

You might also try hanging around the forums a bit and post a thread asking for surrounds. It's possible there are others who are in the progress of upgrading to the newer reference / heritage and might be selling an old pair of RS-3's.

A wise suggestion, posting to see if someone is selling their old equipment off. Which particular group(s) is/are appropriate for such posts, or is right in here fine? I know some forums don't want "I'm looking for..." or "I'm selling..." posts the regular groups.

I recently purchased some rs-35's online. I called Klipsch and verified which sites were authorized klipsch dealers. The site is acousticsounddesign.com. I ordered by phone and they sold them to me for $350 per pair and free shipping. If you order on the internet they are $398 a pair. They still have black ones. This site is out of Las Vegas NV. They still had a good supply. You might check with them and see if they can accomodate you with exactly what you need.

• 2 weeks later...