Interested in Tube Components, Need Help

tom b. 57

It's a combination of a well engineered recording IMO, played back on a highly accurate and detailed audio system. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter whether it's SS or tube equipment; anytime you either upgrade your electronics, cables, or loudspeakers to something more substantial (and usually costing considerably more), you'll seem to notice minute details you've never heard before on lesser components. Although while I'm enjoying my 300B SET amp and 6SN7 SRPP linestage pre now, I can also remember hearing the same soft breathing between words or the slide screeching along a particular guitar string when I upgraded from my Carver to McIntosh SS amps, and from JBL to Magnepan loudspeakers. My all-tube setup doesn't necessarily sound more accurate or even better than my SS McIntosh components (since they're both comparably priced within their specified topologies), only different, which is not a bad thing in my book. Now, if my current tube components cost ten times more than my last SS Macs did, I'm sure I'd hear even more specific details than before...but that's just my opinion.

Audiophiles refer to it as low level detail.

Now when you start to hear the size of the room the singer is inhaling in, the space around each instrument and are able to point to each instrument, then your there.

Run now dude!!! Dont let it seduce you. :-)

I agree with the fellow that suggested the vintage integrated and receivers (in proper working order only).

My Fisher 500B is surprisingly good with my Klipschorns.

post-23157-13819311557958_thumb.jpg

"I think this is the first time I read something specific about tubes."

I don't know if it was the tubes or if it was a very well engineered recording. All I know is it was wonderful to hear such accurate sound reproduction. The stage presence was phenomenol. The audio guru that was humoring me is probably in his late 60's, and built his first crystal radio at age 7, I believe. He had been a consultant to boeing in the past and now repairs equipment at home. People send him stuff to fix from all over. While I was there, he showed me an amp that was sent all the way from Kansas City. It was some obscure company that was no longer in business. Half the time he talked over my head and I would have to let him know that I was at a loss. My knowledge is very limited when it comes to electronics and all the properties that come in to play. I certainly was impressed with what I heard though.

Tom

post-23157-13819311559208_thumb.jpg