need opinions for what amp to buy for RF-7's

NetMagi

What Duke says.....

A few observations regarding the Crown K-Series, QSC PLX , PLX2 and the newer Crown XTi's...

The Crown K Series is a standard to shoot for. Sonically many (even inside Crown) feel they are even better than the Macro-Techs (WITHOUT the insane current draw - as shorted the Macros WILL draw 30 amps and NOT shut down! So the standard power cable is rated for 30 amps with a non-standard 30A plug. They no longer sell adaptors for liability reasons. Have you Ever seen an amp demonstrated by having it used to literally weld...and NOT shut down!?!? [:P] And, no, this is NOT an exaggeration! But, as dramatic as it definitely is, neither is it an endorsement of their sonic attributes! [:)] For that your ears are a bit more effective...and they will be happy. And happy ears are, well, happy ears. Not sure where I was going with that one...[:P]) So I would not normally consider a Macro or MicroTech for home use. But the K-Series is ideal!

The QSC PLX is what most folks are familiar with and they are the units the QSC reputation is based upon. They have changed the topology of the power supply in the PLX2 from what I can gather...but I do not know anyone who has had any extensive experience with them in a 'large' setting (rigorous pro use) - primarily because the PLX is so reliable they have not had a reason to change!... So....you are travelling in relatively uncharted territory...make whatever emotional assumptions you choose here.

Regarding the newer Crown XTi's...evidently they are having a capacitor problem with the initial release. I would avoid them as I would the initial release of most new products. Crown, having now been 'Harmonized', is undergoing a few internal changes... Its no longer the 'family operation' it once was. I have always been a very loyal fan of Crown, but I will leave it at that. As mentioned earlier, the K-Series is a champ. Period!

I would avoid the 'other' QSC models (non-PLX), as like the 'smaller' Crowns (non- K-Series, Macro or MicroTechs), they are not designed for the same duty cycle and applications. Both companies make a broad range of models for a broad industry with many types of applications (for example, distributed PA systems - think your high school PA system...'nuff said.). Simply blindly buying a brand name does not insure that a model is suited to your application!!! And this is a COMMON problem made with regards to these two brands!

My first choice would be the K-2 or K-1. Second would be the QSC PLX.

For what its worth...

yeh, so if they've changed te power supply in the plx2, i'll stick with the plx.

I'd prefer to have a k-series crown, but a k1 will cost me around $1000, and a plx 1602 will cost me around $600, so at this point since people don't seem to judge the k1 as 'twice' the amp the plx is, i think I'll go with the plx. . . that and I CANNOT afford $1000 right now, but I can swing $600 :)

-Rich

Where are you buying a K1 for $1000? Are you only considering new?

There is no need to spend more than around $500 for a K1 or $700 for K2 in pristine condition used. Also, the Crown 3-year no-fault warranty is fully transferrable.

Oh, and how does one rate an amp 'twice', or 'three' times another?[:P]

Going rate for a used k1 seemed more like $600 + shipping from what I saw and there was no way of telling actual condition for sure, or how old they actually were (to see if there was any warranty left to transfer)

I get a 6-yr warranty with the PLX, and a brand new 1602 will run me the same $600 + shipping.

I'm sure the K1 is a better amp, there's no doubt in my mind, but I'm really picky about my equip, and I'm just not comfortable buying used unless it's basically from someone I know. I did ask if anyone on here wanted to part with a crown k-series, but nobody does, and I don't blame them :P

-Rich

$500 for a used K-1 seems to me like a heck of bargain, but I no of nowhere to find one at that price. New, the amp runs $1100 +, and it's still current production, I believe. I suspect if you can find one for $500, its probably been through hell and back, and would look like it.

Still, if there's one out there for $500, and its in good working and cosmetic condition, snap it up!

If from your equipment profile you are going from adcom

amplification ( and that goes for any adcom amplification ) to QSC PLX

or SRA series amplification. Be prepared to have your mind blown!!!!!

I guess I will never revisit the Parasound Halo line again... what a pity.

Congrats Net Magi, please let us know what you think of your new

toy. I might have to buy one here before to long myself now.

Joe

You wont be wanting for a crown amp once you get that QSC up and running.

Congrats on your new amp!

Enjoy!

I've never heard a Crown but they must be great from the comments. I do know after hooking up my QSC it was there to stay.

$500 for a used K-1 seems to me like a heck of bargain, but I no of nowhere to find one at that price. New, the amp runs $1100 +, and it's still current production, I believe. I suspect if you can find one for $500, its probably been through hell and back, and would look like it.

don't forget about Audiogon ....

i bought my K-2, used, mint ... for $750

of course, I would avoid that type of purchase on FleaBay

bad news, good news, and now I'm worried . . . . .

The place I ordered from @ $680 shipped cancelled my order and refunded my money as they no longer stock it. This isn't a surprise since it's not the current model, but their website DID say they had it in stock.

So. . I found another dealer that's selling for $559.99 with free shipping. I ordered from there, but now I'm worried they too won't *actually* sell it to me.

I DO like the sound of $560 vs $680 though :P

Finger's crossed . .

• Like 1