How critical is the Klipschorn "breathing" room?

steve

as always, I'm interested in rearranging the music room..I'm in a dilemma right now, as if I move my CD racks to the front of the room, they'll be within 3-4 inches of the edge of the Klipschorns. I thought I read that KHorns need 48 inches on each wall from the corner to "breathe". Is this correct? Would I muddle the bass bin sound by putting the racks this close?

It's a PITA to rearrange if I'm gonna have to put 'em right back. Anyone tried this, or currently have something close to the KHorn?

Thanx

Steve

Figure on a minimum of at least 18 inches (2 feet would be better) from the "end" of the enclosure along each wall. 18" is the exponential doubling length of 40 Hz.

The Khorn needs this to achieve a large enough overall mouth size to resolve 40 Hz. If you don't have it, you will most likely raise your low frequency response up a bit, as well as making it potentially "peaky".

Now this is the best case, in the case of a single Khorn on one side not having enough room as described above, yes, leave at least 10" linear space around the exit channel.

You probably won't hear an unlistenable effect with only one set up that way. I wouldn't do it to both.

DM

I'm going to disagree with my friends above. The CD cabinet should not have much effect. If you find it does, it is not too difficult to move back (easy for me to say, of course).

The general thought is that the K-Horn benefits from the wall which traps the pressure as an extension of the final flare. It sounds like you will still have that. The cabinet is not going to distroy the effect of the wall at low frequencies.

Now there is the physical fact that there can be a reflection of high bass frequencies off the cabinet. But this might well not be audible.

Gil

Gil

That was my thought when posting the question..after all, the CD racks are only 6 inches deep..they don't come out that far from the wall..and the KHorn bass bin is still "vented" (for a lack of a better word at the moment) through the side grill.

As for moving the CD racks back and forth..it's not the rack that's hard to move..it's unloading the 2,000+ CDs from the racks and reloading them..careful not to mix 'em up out of alphabetical order..

Anyway, thanx all for the input. Will have to mull this over..

When will I learn to leave things alone??!!