SVS Ultra x 2 or RSW15 x 2

Big Ben

Howdy All,

I am in the final stages of deciding which of the above to order. The SVS CS Ultra package with Samson S1000 amp or two RSW15's with internal 1000 watt amps.

I should be able to get them both for around the same price, maybe a little more for the RSW15's.

Any comments

Ben

how theheck could you manage to getv two RSW-15 for the same price as the SVS package??

$3,600 compared to $2,300...

even with a killer deal on the RSWs, i don't think you could get very close to the SVS deal...

anyways, since not a lot of people have heard the RSW subs yet, you might not get a lot of answers. you'd need one of the few people who listened to the RSW to listen to the SVS ultras too... don't know of anyone on this board!

Rest assured Seb I am not paying MSRP on the RSW15's.

My real concern about the SVS product is that I live in Canada and if I have a problem with them or the Samson amp, I will have a nightmare sending the stuff back to the US, not to mention all the customs issues. Believe me I have had to do this with another product and it was a pain in the bum.

The Klipsch I can get from a local dealer in my town, he will cover any issues that may come up. My dealer gives me stunning prices on the Ref Series stuff.

Ben

Well too tempting to pass up.I have to give you my $0.02.

If price is NOT the issure here I very much doubt a single SVS Ultra(even so great it is with its 12" driver)can outperform(more output)then a RSW15 with one 15" active and a 15" radiator can put out(SPL).

Two RSW15 must outperform(dB around 30Hz)a set of SVS Ultras.If NOT then Klipsch missed the boat(I doubt they did this time around).

What I did is compare the SVS Ultra to Revel B15,Velodyne HGS18.When you compare unit to unit(one to one)the Revel outblasts the Ultra(SPL again)above 25Hz.I dont care how much long throw the SVS Ultra driver has it cant match a long throw 15" driven by a beefy amp(even with the EQ on the Revel robbing it off some max SPL).

So there is no best sub in the world,probably would cost a fortune and be very very large,using many many drivers and be driven by a huge army of powerful amplifiers.Some represent a great value and the SVS Ultra is one of them.

Again I have yet to hear the RSW15 and test its max SPL at 20,30,40 and 50Hz in my room.So far the Ultra is the all around champ,best balanced.The BIG Velo HGS-18 the king of abyss bass and the Revel B15 the knockout champ around 25Hz(it will shake your insides and make you feel sorry you ever tried to test its limits LOL ).

So again this was my $0.02

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I dont know the costs(as I had a set of SVS Ultras borrowed)in CAN $ for a set of Ultras and the S1000 amp.

I doubt the RSW15's will let you down,oh well yes they will let you...hear the low down abyss bass.And with two RSW15's WHEW the output should be MONSTER.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Congrats Ben, let us know how they work out. I plan on the RSW15 for my Heritages. If I may ask, what was your cost in BC before pst and gst?

There are several companies online that do the purchasing for you(cdn). One use to be "Border Free", but have since gone under. I inquired about a pair of dual 29-39PC from svs and my charge would have been around $100(duty etc) if I recall. I did inquire to Tom V about what you mentioned, problems with svs, and he said anytime send them back, all done through FedX. I did email several Canucks who own svs and questioned them about shipping condition, problems etc, and they were ALL happy with their transactions, speaks alot for SVS Smile.gif

Hey BB!

You are going to love the RSW15s. I have one installed as the sub for my KLF30 mains and moved my KSW200 as the sub for KLF30 surrounds. In a word .... WOW. Just a ton of bass slam for both home theatre and music. I am still trying to decide if I should set my surround 30s to small though. Bass is great with them set to large as it is. The RSW15 performs very well, rumbling my concrete floor in my home theatre. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

------------------

KLF30 mains

RSW15 Subwoofer

KLFC7 center

KLF30 side surrounds

KSW200 Subwoofer

KG3.5 rear surrounds

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV09

Pioneer Elite PDF19

RCA DTC100 DSS/HDTV

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

Well congrats on your now dual purchase Ben, when the RSW15's arrive in town I'll let you know. I'm not sure as to what your next get me is, but was there this afternoon when you called...*cheers* Smile.gif

Shan's a pretty good guy, #1 in Klipsch in Western Canada, soon to be 1 throughout, he deserves it Smile.gif

Within 3 yrs of starting out, I'm impressed at what he has done, and even A&B Sound, Future Shop, International Stereo, etc, have tried their best to get rid of this "small" Independent Dealer,in short, he kicks some corporate *** Smile.gif

Enjoy, let us now how the RSW15 works out, and if I can help, let me know.

T.

for others, if Klipsch doesn't mind, he ships Internationally.

http://www.audio51.net

PS. His webpage is old and hasn't been updated in eons, he's just to busy with the store, but I will say better than "one-call", and is a "legitimate Dealer" for KLipsch, no I don't work there, but invested 20K in my HT and I'm HAPPY Smile.gif

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 11-27-2001 at 10:05 PM

Only three subs BobG!Why not two RSW15's and a pair of RSW12's?You would get a bit closer to TheEAR system power(well I said A BIT closer...Smile.gif ).

Next year I will finish with my sub purchases for a couple of years!Two to four SVS(Ultra and SS)will complete my inhuman super sub bass subsystem. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to more Cd's and these subs are impressing me more and more. Material: Def Leppard - Hysteria, Supertramp - Crime of the Century, Bob Marley G.H, John Cougar - American Fool and Police G.H, all of these sound so much better now.

The sound seems to be complete now, where as before my KSW12 did a reasonable job it was, and is not, in the same league as the RSW's.

I was in the hot tub last night in a snow storm commenting to my wife that these come close to being one of the best birthday presents I have ever been given.

I will be doing some reviews of my DVD collection this weekend and I will post my comments. I am sure my sentiments will remain the same.

WOOO HOOO

Ben