Its time for an upgrade to the HT system

firebird

I have had my Klipsch KG 5.5 for 8 years now and think its time for an upgrade. Over time I added KDF S center, SS-1 surrounds(about 5 years old) and then 2 more (about 3 years old). I also have a Paradigm PS series sub. I purchased a Yamaha RSV 1400 (3 years back) and added 2 SS.5 for front presence speakers.

I am now going to upgrade to a Yamaha RSV 2700 and wanted to change speakers. I was interested in the RF 52, RC 52, RS 52 and either a SVS or Klipsch sub depending on price.

My room is 13 x 18 with 8 foot ceilings. There are 2 openings in room, one in back approx 8' and 1 on right side close to the front speaker about 6' wide. My use is basically 95% movies, 5% music.

The other question is I want to use my existing SS 1 for the rear center and the front presence. I know everyone recommends staying with in one line to match Timbre which could affect sound. Is this something to really be concerned about since it is the rear center and front presence speakers or is it not really that much of an issue. I am far from an audiophile, but I like my surround sound! I also want to have this set up for a good number of years. Wifey thinks I am nuts for even considering a change now! Between the receiver and speakers (buying online) I am basically at about my budget of around $3000.

Any insite on this set up would be appreciated or suggestions of a different set up in my price range. TIA

I wouldn't underestimate timbre. I have just put together my "upstairs" (basement to follow) HT with 4 KG1's with a KV2 center and it sounds fantastic, especially for how much I spent on it.

I would go as big as your budget allows and get the same all around. Be sure and check out the secondary market. A little patience will really stretch your dollars.

Well I pulled the trigger on some speakers. I bought the RF 62's for the front, RS 52 for the rear surrounds, RC 62 for the center and a PB 12 sub from SVS. I am also going with the Yamaha 2700 for sure.

So to be more specific, using the Synergy 1 surrounds for rear center surround and front presence speakers in combination with what I just purchased will sound...

a) good and won't notice

B) acceptable but definately could use the upgrade on those speakers too

c) will sound like crap and should try and upgrade right away

If the answer is C) and I was to replace those rear center surrounds and front presence speakers with new ones, should I stay with the RS 52's or RS 42's or RS 25's. The cost on those differs quite a bit and I need 2 pairs.

I will have everything next week and will decide anyway for myself, but in the mean time I am looking for anyone who has something similar to what I am planning on doing to get an opinion.

The SVS is a monster, I really like it. The thing is huge, my wife was like your not keeping this here are you?! So to get the WAF took some convincing but I have arranged the room for now where I guess its allright for her for now.

I decided to just upgrade the rear surrounds and the front presence speakers to the RB61's. I am still waiting on one pair. I actually was a little baffled on how to Wall Mount the RB's until I found a nice mount from Crutchfield, the BTECH. It clamps on the sides of the speakers. When I hung them my wife comes in and just shook her head and left, definately a problem for WAF. They are a little big, but anything for good HT surround sound I say.

I have a Yamaha 2700 receiver and used their YPAO program (program that calibrates speakers) for now until I get the other RB's. Once I have them I will use my trusty Avia disk and SPL from Radio Shack to dial everything in. So it sounds pretty good now but I think there is room for improvement.

I have a question about setting the front RF62's to large or small on my receiver settings. The Yapo set them to large as well as the RS 50's. I think I should set them all to small. The other setting I am questioning on the receiver is sending all bass to sub or sending bass to RC62's as well as sub. I have read alot that says to set all speakers to small in any average sized HT room as well as send all bass to sub. Would that be ideal for my set up or is just a matter of taste of listner?

My wife had a similar first impression. Especially when it shows up in that HUGE box on that skid that makes it look even bigger than it is (I started to tear up[;)]). I always planned on it going into the basement with the Cornwalls and a new Heresy 2 center anyway, so I only had to convince her to let it stay upstairs temporarily.

I think the large vs. small is all taste. When I first got the SVS, I had everything on small thinking it would be plenty of bass, and it was. But then I started to think that for the overall "biggest" sound, why wouldn't you send all the sound(and bass) you can to all speakers?

That's my present story and I am sticking to it, for now.

Also, one of my favorite quotes from my wife after seeing the new SVS in place of the little 8" JBL sub I was using:

"It blends right in."

Yeah, right! Bless her heart.