Help with a purchase in Denver, CO.

Kudret

I have found some Marantz pieces that I would like to buy from someone in Denver. I requested and receive specific pictures of the actual units. I also have the address of the person which seems to be legit.

My question is what's the safest method of payment (if any) in this case? The seller has a short feedback history on eBay (8 positive). PayPal is too expensive due to the fees involved. He requested wiretreansfer but I refused. Is there any volunteers in Denver area who wouldn't mind helping out with this transaction (probably just to bring the money order to him to make sure that he is legit). Any other suggestions?

Kudret

Kudret,

Hey, sounds like you might get those Marantz pieces. Hopefully someone near Denver can do a drive by for you.

Were any of his 8 feedbacks for items of value? Recent auctions? Is he currently listing anything else?

Additionally, did you get his address and phone number? And have you called him and talked with him on the phone? Usually, when you get people on the phone that lowers the scam possibility. You can run phone number and address checks on the internet. Always makes me feel better when I can find that a person's address and phone number are what they say they are by going to whitepages.com (or other people finding websites). It's by no means fullproof but it gives you some comfort level.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the quick reply.

He has no recent eBay transactions. His address checked out - I did a search and found the owner information and property evaluation info. for his address (it's amazing what you can find on the web nowadays). I got his cell phone and I will ask for the landline. What he told me so far checked out and I am convinced that he has those units. What worries me is what if he cashes the mo but does not ship.

Kudret

I am one hundred miles from Denver. I will not be going over there any time soon. I would be willing to help in any way that I could though. I do have for sale a Marantz model 15 power amp and a model 33 pre-amp should you decide against the pieces you already are looking at.