Tascam 32

Heideana

Thanks all for the advice on open reel decks last week. Here's some photos of the Tascam 32 I purchased from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Angel Gentchev here in the bay area. His web address is: http://www.reelproaudio.com/ and his website has some fun machines to look at and he's got a hot Studer A810 on ebay right now if I could afford it and had the room (my partner told me this morning that I couldn't fit anything else into my playroom [:)]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Here's the Tascam on top of my continually improved "hifi" rig...[8-|]

post-17858-13819314040788_thumb.jpg

I was just looking at some 1/4 track machines and both look great! On the other hand, from what I've been reading, I'm really intrigued with Studer machines....I'm thinking I want a B67 1/2 track machine and a 1/2 track machine that reads my 1/4 track tapes, but could be sold on a Studer 1/4 track machine if one exists....

Over the long haul, I'll probably want to make copies of my 1/4 track tapes onto 1/2 track tapes for everyday play...just like we used to do with albums in my youth. I read somewhere that the 1/4 track tapes were usually 3rd generation from master, while vinyl is more like 10 generations away. I'm trying to focus on 7 1/2 ips 1/4 track albums to get better high-end and decent bottom end...also not buying any tape other then new Quantegy 456 for recording. I think I also read that sometimes the 1/4 tape mixes are significantly different then CD mixes...it should keep me busy for awhile and take care of my vinyl/turntable envy...[;)]

Apologies to all for big photos! I'm not sure how to down-size them and had a hard time figuring out how to attach them...nothing really in the help section that I could find, but I may have missed it...[:$]

I talked with Angel tonight and he's going to finish tuning up a Technics RS-1500 and sell it to me to take care of my 1/4-track playback needs in a few weeks.

He told me that he thought the Tascam I now had was a really good machine with easy upkeep....At some point, however I'm going to want to consider time coding to sync. up with digital recorder and may also want to look at a Fostex...