Surrounds Question

jags99

I have got RF62 and RC62. now i need 2 sorrounds to complete my 5.1 setup and thats where i am lost.

I know RS52 are the match, but thats $700/pair - its a bit expensive for me.

I am thinking of going for RB-61 which are couple of hundreds less, or RS42.

RB61 has 100w and RS42 has 75w - for the same price.

Is it a very bad idea to use bookshlefs as surround. Or should i just invest in RS52 without thinking..

Here is my room setup, its 16 feet in length, one side opens to kitchen/dining. My seating position is a sofa against the wall, planing place the surrounds just next to seating area close to the sofa ends..

Can u guys throw some ideas..

Thanks all

The general rule of thumb is this.. Stay within the series you own. This is very true for the front three speakers especially. Some like the direct approach for surrounds some like it sprayed behind you so it feels bigger? I have both in my house so I can at least say it is different... (Sorry to cop out on you...) Both ways, are pretty awesome..

Placement, and room treatment if possible, will do a LOT more than you can ever imagine from dedicated rooms to what may or may not be on the walls.

We talk alot on the word Timbre... What we mean is this. When the drivers especially in the mid and high sections are the same.. It makes the sound more even when watching a DVD or TV. What best illistrates this as a good thing is when the scene going from left, to center, to right, seems seamless in how it sounds. That is what you want.

The same, to a lesser degree, is true for the back or side surrounds.. If you listen to a lot of concert dvd's or music on this system.. it is more important to keep within the series.. (Push towards direct) If movies only, maybe a tadd bit less important, (since your looking for sound cues...) go witht he split tweeters Surround type speakers.

These, of course, are general ideas not written in stone. Hope this helps!