Forte II weak bass response

copperwire

Yes but Richard some equipment is so darn thin,forward and bright that the poor little klipsch dont have a chance. Not just pickin on the amp it could be anything in the chain. But I do agree location means alot especially using a speaker with a rear firing passive radiator.

SET12

That's a wicked crossover, your design? You say its outboard

where do you place it and am I take it I'm looking at a set up

for both speakers? A friend of mine did a cap job on some

speakers and said they sounded brand new, maybe better than new.

RichardP

Thanks for the perspective I would definatly say the room is not ideal

in that I only have one real good corner and the other speaker is

against the wall in order to be centered on the couch. It is a really

bad room for these speakeres. I was thinking maybe I need a new

amp but perhaps I need a new house[:)]

I also believe that there was no clear indication of +/- on the back of

the pair I have and it may be as simple as swithcing the

polarity. What guage wire would you use and how long a run is to

long?

Duke

I'm interested in the particulars on that super champ easy to do?

Copperwire

Copperwire...as for speaker wire...16GA or 14GA is fine for most applications (to 20-25 feet) and Carol Branded (or similar) ZipCord (Lamp Wire) from Lowes-Home Depot-Menards etcetera is fine...I believe Forte' should not be in the corner snug...it should be perhaps 18"-2' off the back wall and a bit off the side walls (if near a corner) and try the "toe in" method...turned near 45 degrees in...then give that a try...moving my Quartets around mere inches seemed to make a BIG difference in sound...I am no audiophile but it seemed to be the case...my Quartets are slightly smaller brothers to your Forte'

Good luck,

Bill

SET12

That's a wicked crossover, your design? You say its outboard

where do you place it and am I take it I'm looking at a set up

for both speakers? A friend of mine did a cap job on some

speakers and said they sounded brand new, maybe better than new.

The crossover design is stock, I had no issues with the basic design subjectively. What I did is to upgrade the parts quality the inductors are 8ga I was told the worlds largest comerically offered and are no longer be offered. The caps are matched Hovlands with very small MIT polystyrenes matched. I would not recommend Hovlands they took forever to sweeten up and bloom there are alot of very high quality parts out there thatI would like to hear so these crossovers allow interchanging of componets very fast.

Your looking at just one crossover for one speaker each crossover has an input from the amp and a woofer, mid, and tweeter output binding posts the speaker has 3 pairs of post also. I have them on amp stands or I have had them sitting on top of the Forte's as they are the same rectangular dimensions as the Forte but what I found was better performance having the componets away from any vibration enhances their performance in my system and this makes sense due to most componets being subject to microphonics.

If I want, I am set up to do Tri-Amping but I don't have the desire to because of the

superb performance of my SET amps with these crossovers although if I where to Tri-Amp I would build the crossovers in the amps between the gainstages for superior performance over an outboard electronic crossover I prefer as few gainstages as possible for sheer transparency and dynamics I also use no preamp this of course doesn't work for everyone but I think I understand why it works so well for me.

Replacing the caps is a very worth while upgrade! And highly recommended you might look at Deans K-Stacks for a nice improvement in performance.