Technics RS-1500 coming my way

Heideana

Hi all...can't contain my excitment...Angel just e-mailed me that he just completed his servicing of the Technics 1500 he's selling me and sent me pictures. I asked him to sit the high bias for Quantegy GP9 and the low for 456...

I'm picking it up on Saturday...so I can start playing the 4-tracks I have and hopefully join the RTR tape share club. I had to post one of his photos of it...[H]

post-17858-13819314218398_thumb.jpg

I've always admired those tape machines...maybe someday I'll still buy one and listen to all the old reels my dad has.

Good to know you're one of a few who still enjoy these monster decks and is keeping the analog tape medium alive; congrats, and enjoy!

I met Angel this morning and picked-up my Technics RS-1500 and was home by 10:30! I've got the unit set up and have been letting it settle in but I need to let the feng shui play out play out over the next few days....

Angel did great job and she sounds great, stops on a dime and has great logic circuits! I've been listening to my pre-recorded tapes all day...right now its' Jefferson Airplane "Volunteers"...Grace's voice was really hot back then and the tape captures it without any of the channel crosstalk that always plagued the LP...I also have "After Bathing at Baxter's" and "Crown of Creation"...mmm.

After we talked for a while, we decided to trade the Tascam 32 for a Revox PR-99 which should be ready by next weekend. The only thing I'm mulling over is if I should go for broke and get the Studer A810. If I'm understanding things correctly, the Studer is great, but more expensive/difficult to maintain, while the PR-99 is much easier to maintain and parts are easy to find....sounds like I'm talking myself into the PR-99...

post-17858-1381931439009_thumb.jpg

Good lookin' unit....but. Jefferson Airplane, Volunteer's....are they GOOD or what? Any old Airplane with Grace up front is Classic stuff, and will sound great on an open reel. You guys make me sorry I ever sold my Akai, looks like reel to Reel has a pretty good following around here......crazy place....EH!!!

Grace's vocal of the reel is superb, especially on "Hey Frederick" and "Re-Joyce"...

Even better is that I located a copy of Blind Faith, which I've been listening to in one form or another since I graduated in 8th grade. It's kinda scary how many formats I've had this in and I've got to say that finally the annoying cross-channel distortion is gone when Eric warps out on the leslie...ditto for Stevie's voice, but the passage at the end of "Had to Cry" where the leslies go into overdrive has always been problematic...

I obtained a copy of Sly and the Family Stone's "Stand" that's particulariliy great sounding!!! Wow...the horns!!!!

I also learned that the only fully analogue sources are LP's, live events and pre-recorded tapes these days...seems there's many interesting things to learn along the RTR path...

Sly should sound awesome too..................Always liked Led Zep II on open reel..........Jethro Tull Aqualung was great too, enough though that title got run in the ground............the only piece of gear I regretted selling, still in service today, sold it in 1975 Akai with Glass cross field heads, auto reverse, and a bunch of pre-recorded tapes...best of luck to ya'................

• 2 weeks later...