What sub will I need?

kmijeski

For fronts I have the KSF 10.5s (Each have dual 8 inch woofers). When purchasing a subwoofer, will I be able to notice a difference with a 12 inch sub or should I get a fifteen inch? Will the difference be in the quality of the bass (deeper and tight) or will the bas be simply louder? Thanks

Keith

IMHO, the answer is "yes" to both. I have KG4s that have 2 8" woofers and a 12" passive radiator on the back. For their size, they have great bass. I also have Forte's with a 12" woofer, and a 12" passive on the back. Again, great bass. But when I coupled both of them with a 12" sub, the bass got deeper and tighter as well. Some of that comes, I'm sure, from the corner placement of the sub which enhances the bass (and you can't really place your speakers tightly into a corner).

As far as 12" vs. 15", a lot depends on what you are willing to spend. A good 12" sub will be more musical and give you nicer overall bass than a "less-good" 15" sub, IMHO. So, if you can't spring for a good 15", get a good 12" instead.

Doug