OT: Computer video card temperatures

MrMcGoo

I have two machines that have identical video cards. One runs at 131F and the other runs at 140F. I have added a RAID array and a second Lightscribe DVD burner to the machine that runs warmer with no increase in video temperature.

Both video cards are made by nVidia and have 256 Mb of video RAM. Are the temperature readings accurate? Will there be any difference in reliability?

Bill

First

Nvidia GPU's can run @ 70 C with no problems,artifacting apears over 90 C. 140 F is 60 C so you should be A ok.

I keep the teps on my GPU's below 40 C idle and under 65 C full load. Zalman cooling mounted in place of the stock cooler. Plus in the case of my ATI 1900XTX / 1900Crossfire setup I use a blower that forces air over the card.Lowers idle from ~ 55C to 43 C ! And full load from a boiling 94 C to a very safe 78 C.

SO yes 140 F is safe for a modern GPU (under load)

Same motherboard? Model? 9 degree F is not much of a difference, if the hotter was say 20 degrees higher it might last a not last quite as long,but prlly not a noticable amount of time. The cards are tested to substain high temperatures for very long times without failure. My guess is its just a read error, or different readings from 2 different motherboards. (130F is HOT, my CPU is at 85F right now[:D]) However, both temperatures will most likely be absolutely fine.

Ear,

Thanks for the input. Once the system has been on for awhile, the temperature never varies, except with room temperature. The hotter machine is in the coldest part of the house.

cheveller,

The motherboards are identical. They run dual core Pentiums at 2.8 Ghz with 2 Gb of RAM.

Bill