Subwoofer to increase power of 2 channel stereo audio system ???

zeiter

I have RF-83 speakers, and wish to increase the power . i have a 380 w/c amp, yes I want more. Can I use one of the Klipsch subs with it's 500 w power to increase the power without having a boomy sound. I would like to retain musical sound, and not have that boomy home theatre effect of the sub. I find the RF-83 perfectly balanced for my taste, lows and highs are OK. I'm worried of too much bass with the sub, or is there a way to adjust the level to get matching lows with my RF--83 without increasing the bass, but getting more power. I can't get another amp like mine to bi-amp ( discontinued ), and besides, it will be an overkill for the tweeters, and still I'll be limited to the 250 w handling capacity of the RF-83. Thanks for any opinion..

Virtually all subs have gain controls that let you blend the sub's output with your receiver/speakers.

I certainly like my SVS, although it is better suited for movies that have lots of LFE effects. I have it crossed over at about 55Hz. Music has some information below 55Hz, but not much depending on the type of music you listen to.

The RSW-15 from Klipsch has what many describe as excellent bass 'slam' and isn't the least bit boomy.

The physical location of the sub in the room can also play a large part in how well it blends with the other speakers and also with how tight or boomy it sounds.

A subwoofer is here to free your speakers(mains)from the workload of reproducing deep bass.And sub bass they can simply not.

Even a solid 200W PC power amp has more then enough juice to power RF7 or RF83's to ear bleeding volumes in quite large rooms.SO more amp power will be a clear WASTE.

At least get a better amp like a high power Bryston or Krell,then I would understand.

For the sub part I would have the mains cut at 50Hz and let the sub do its work from there on down...

A sub to keep RF83's company would be ..at least a RSW15,RT-12d or dual Klipsch THX Ultra subs.With the twin THX subs you would have all the ehadroom you could use,your ear drumms would fail before these subs.

Or if you have the dough,dual JL Audio f113 subs. [:D] [:D] They would probably leave a few cracks in your plaster.Massive air movement,for the joy of deep deep bass.

Do not settle on weakling cheapo subs,they are a farce and waste with large capable mains motivated by a powerful amp.

I have a 500 SQ ft old house room, and 12 ft high ceiling, and I lile the power. My amp is a Rotel RB-1090, which I like a lot. I'm OK with the idea of an RSW 15, if I find one, but my question is that if the low end increases that much, will I loose the high end clarity ? Will the xtra bass overshadow the tweeters ?