need reccomendations for projector

travisc

Travis,

Are you looking new or used?

How big of a screen do you want?

What distance thrown from the screen to the projector?

What kind of offset do you want/need on the projector? IOW, where would the projector be mounted relative to the screen?

Do you see rainbows or have other forms of eyestrain from DLP projectors?

Shawn

P.S. I may be selling my AE900 in the next week or two if that is one that interests you.

shawn absolutely interested if you think it will suit my needs.

5 to 6' diagonal

less than 15' throw with very little angle, its my room and I can mount it wherever

not sure about rainbows dont have much experience with them at all........actually none

let me look that projector up and e-mail me when your ready

p.s. I am enjoying the lexicon very much, I have hooked up some surrounds, and am very impressed

Wayne

"5 to 6' diagonal"

That is a fairly small screen for front projection so that will give you some extra brigthness to help if you have any ambiant light in the room. Even still though the darker the room is the better.

BTW, when talking front projection people usually just talk about screen width instead of diagonal size.

"less than 15' throw with very little angle, its my room and I can mount it wherever"

You would need a projector with a long throw lens to do 6' diagonal at 15'. Many projectors would need to be closer then that. The AE900, which has some of the most flexible placement of any projectors due to wide zoom range and lens shift, could do 6' diagonal (63" wide) from a range of about 7.2' to 14.5'.

"not sure about rainbows dont have much experience with them at all........actually none"

It is something to keep in mind with DLP projectors due to the way they project their image. Many have no problems watching them. While OTOH some do, I get bad eyestrain and sort of like car sick watching them. If you do think about purchasing a DLP get some experience watching a DLP projector in a dark room for a couple of hours before purchasing to see if you would have a problem with them or not. Likewise any others that would spend a lot of time watching should make sure to check it out ahead of time. It wouldn't be fun spending the money on a projector and then finding out you get headaches or have other problems watching them.

If you have any FP setup questions or whatever don't hesitate to ask.

"let me look that projector up and e-mail me when your ready"

Here is a review of it:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ae900.htm

And I'm sure you can find many others. It is a popular unit.

If you want to check out throw ranges look at the projector calculator here:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic_Home-PT-AE900U-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I should know pretty quickly when/if it is going to be for sale. I also have the AE900 specific Chief ceiling mount (really high quality mount) and a brand new sealed in the box Dalite Model B (pull down) screen with Controlled Spring Return in a white case, 12" of extra drop (if needed) with a screen size of 67x37.5 (77 inch diagonal) in the High Contrast Matte White fabric that I'm not using. If you wanted the whole package it would be just under your budget. It would be a bit of a drive but if you wanted to check out the AE900 in action ahead of time you are welcome to come down and see it. If you wanted it that would save you shipping costs too.

"p.s. I am enjoying the lexicon very much, I have hooked up some surrounds, and am very impressed"

Glad to hear it! Are you running 2 surrounds or 4?

Have fun,

Shawn

just running two at the moment. I dont ever get car/sea sick or anything like that, I am interested!! This month is gonna be funny money wise and christmass coming I will have to play it by ear, please keep me posted

and Thanks for the offer. I never have anytime to really tinker with my system much less forum about it. I do however get to enjoy it every evening for a few hours.

last thing I did was buy some aurelex 2" pyramid sheets and deadened my room a bit, I have been going through some of your old posts regarding your theatre room. makes me want to try a dead as possible room with 7 speakers.

wayne