Just in case you forgot how bad THEY really were--vol. 13

Allan Songer

This clip is just KILLING me! After Potter finishes his solo, JJ jumps in to begin trading fours--forgetting that Sonny hasn't soloed--the look on Stitt's face is so deadpan--freaking HILARIOUS. Then he cracks up and Howard says something. And then away Sonny FLYS--Stitt blew the blues like NOBODY--WOW! And JJ is just SICK and Howard is blazing. What a sextet--I can't even tell who's on piano here--Kenny Clarke on drums.

Damn I love this music . . .

This clip is just KILLING me! After Potter finishes his solo, JJ jumps in to begin trading fours--forgetting that Sonny hasn't soloed--the look on Stitt's face is so deadpan--freaking HILARIOUS. Then he cracks up and Howard says something. And then away Sonny FLYS--Stitt blew the blues like NOBODY--WOW! And JJ is just SICK and Howard is blazing. What a sextet--I can't even tell who's on piano here--Kenny Clarke on drums.

Damn I love this music . . .

I have NEVER heard anyone play the trombone like that- simply amazing! What an all star cast, and that is funny that they came around and forgot the sax solo- but he more than makes up for it.

Thanks Allan

M

they you go, predictable, getting stuff all wrong and getting yourself all hussied up....i don't wear pants....so there, get it right!!![:P]

Okay ---

first class smarty-skirt then!!

Hussied? Wouldn't I have to put on the skirt to become "hussied?"

Hmmmmm

now if you only knew good music.....like the defranco family....now there's some playing....yeah.......shhhhhh......wait for it........YEAH!!

boy!!

now if you only knew good music.....like the defranco family....now there's some playing....yeah.......shhhhhh......wait for it........YEAH!!

I didn't realize that Buddy's family were players too! I remember the first time I heard Buddy play--must have been around 1982 or so with Terry Gibbs. I only vaguely knew of him but he flat out blew me away on the clarinet (and bass clarinet too)--a real MFer thats for DAMN sure!!!. Of course I began looking for his records and started picking up all of the old Norgan and Verve LPs--the ones with Sonny Clark are the ones I treasure most and pull out on a pretty regular basis--those and the one with Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers from the 60's

Buddy DeFranco & Sonny Clark on Norgran

Buddy DeFranco on Norgran

BUDDY DEFRANCO QUARTET NORGRAM MGN-1026 1955

Buddy DeFranco "in a mellow mood" on US Norgran

BUDDY DeFRANCO W/ SONNY CLARK Autumn Leaves VERVE LP

All of the Norman Granz sessions with Buddy and Sonny Clark were collected on a Mosaic set a few years ago--now out of print but ABSOLUTELY worth looking for:

Mosaic  Buddy  DeFranco Sonny Clark New UNPLAYED NoRsv

OH! Now I get it! You were trying to be FUNNY again! All I have to say is don't give up your day job, pal!!! [:D]

1899.jpg

The bass player really knows his way around the strings. I like the way Kenny is playing those drums, too - and using the old style grip (left hand palm up) - gotta hold 'um like that to get that sound.

I play live and miscommunicating solos happens. Just have to laugh and break on ahead without it upsetting your groove. Thanks for the link.