Pioneer SA-7800 vs. Adcom GTP-500 and Adcom GFA-555MKII

enigzenig

I have a pair of LaScalas connected to a Adcom GTP-500 and Adcom GFA-555MKII. I was able to get my hands (to borrow) on a Pioneer SA-7800 (http://www.visi.com/~jweeks/stuff/pioneer/) and I am astonished at the sound. I am getting the lows and ambiance that I have been wishing for and a smooth, subtle and detailed top end that is easier to listen to (less forward). I would have not guessed that this old 65w/ch receiver would sound so good with these speakers. The receiver is making me second guess my current setup. Is this what a valve amp sounds like? Now I am not happy with my current setup!

What would you do at this point? I like the sound of this receiver and would like to run it through the power amp to see what it sounds like but it does not have pre-amp outs. Any ideas on what is so different with my current setup?... its just too bright and lacks the low end when compaired to the Pioneer...

The Pioneer SA line has always left lasting impressions. I used to have the SA-6500 and later the SA-9500. Surpisingly, they both sounded just as good. The Line uses bi-polar darlington output transistors. Theses are high voltage, high current transistors. In 1980, these transistors costs 36 bucks each. Depending on the model, they used 2 to 4 pairs per channel. Amazingly, most of the boards in the SA line are wired using wire wrapping posts and aluminum wire...no solder for almost all the boards.

There are a lot of Adcom GFA-555 series owners out there...some of these have mods that are recommended. One that comes to mind for the GFA-555 is the additon of small value metal film by pass capcitors on all the power supply caps.

What would you do at this point?

Easy. You could buy 2 or 3 7800's for the return you'd get for selling the Adcom gear. Dump the Adcom stuff and go get yourself a 7800. With the leftover $$$, get the 7800 freshed up by a qualified tech, and you'll be happy for years to come.

I have an SA-7800 and I really like it. Mine has one channel slightly weaker than the other, but overall I really like the sound. I plan to use it in a second 2-channel set up, but I have considered buying a couple more for another 5.1 or 6.1 set up. But first I think i'm going to go through it and recap it.

Jeremy