All Weather Speakers

Big Ben

I was going to post a new message...but might as well post it here...

I'm looking into getting some new speakers for an indoor horse riding barn. We currently have some crummy speakers and i'm looking at replacing them with SA-1 or SA-2.

The arena is 144 ft x 70ft. The major problem is not water...it's dust and LOTS of it. We have killed 3 CD players and 2 recievers(cheapies...but still)and the current speakers are on there last legs...How sealed are the SA's to protect against dust? How efficient are the speakers? With 144ft cable runs...I need speakers that are easy to drive.

Thanks

DrPyro

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

DrPyro:

As far as protection from the negative elements of massive dirt and dust, that is a tough one. All three of the SA's are the same that way-grills covering otherwise exposed drivers and dual ports on the front. I believe all brands will be the same here, excluding models without ports that will allow less (or no) dirt to accumulate inside the cabinets.

As far as efficiency goes, you can see all on our webpage at www.klipsch.com by clicking "Home Audio" and "Synergy Series" "Outdoors". Hit "Comparison Shop" and everything is laid out side by side. For your area of coverage, the SA-3's would be the recommendation.

PhilH

For wire runs of that length, you should be using heavy gauge wire of not smaller than 12g. Smaller than that, and you'll waste much of your amplifier power merely driving the wire. 8 Ohm speakers, 95-150' wire run needs 12g wire. 10g would be even better.

With the ports on the SA's, I might simply have to plug them to prevent dust from entering inside. What type of grill covers are sold with it, might this help keep out the dust? Also, how could i protect the Tractrix® Horn, that seems to be the most suspect failure point due to dust.

Yes...i SHOULD be using large gauge wire...but I'm not. When the "system" was origionally installed, we used electrical wire (shhhhh...no laughing) which didn't work then we tried some multi-strand large gauge wire...this also didn't work (don't ask me why...) So as a last resort we got some wire from an Audio store (approx 16-18 gauge) and that worked. We have now put that wire in steel conduit...so it would be a pain to replace with larger wire. (call me lazy)

-DrPyro

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

This message has been edited by DrPyro on 11-30-2001 at 11:27 AM

If you plug the ports (you could tape them over with duct tape) you'll reduce bass output significantly. The supplied grilles are punched, powder coated aluminum. Don't know of anything fine enough to keep the dust out without interfering with performance. As far as the horn is concerned, it's possible to get dust into the tweeter voice coil, but it's filled with ferrofluid which will tend to minimize dust intrusion.