Dedicated controller/preamp vs. Denon A/V receiver purchase question...

Johnny Canuck

I am planning to buy an Earthquake Cinénova Grande 7-Channel amplifier

http://www.earthquakesound.com/cng_7.htm

or a similar stand-alone amplifier for my Klipsch reference system I will be purhasing:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rf-83-home-theater-system.aspx

(RF-83 Floorstanders, RC-64 Center, RS-62 Surrounds, and JL Audio F113 subwoofer).

Now

I am wondering which controller/preamp/processor to buy to match up

with something like the Earthquake Cinenova amplifier and my Klipsch

reference speakers.

I do not need video switching but I do need support for 7.1 speakers and important standard features such as:

-4 Optical, 2 Coaxial (all assignable) digital inputs

-24-bit/96-kHz and 24-bit/192-kHz Digital Input Capability

-DTS 96/24

-Dolby ProLogic IIx

-Dolby Digital Surround EX Decoding

-Digital Soundfield Processing Modes

-Late Night Mode

-Crossover Adjustment

-Headphone Jack (Dolby Headphone preferred)

-OPTIONAL: auto-setup/room equalization functions

Now should I buy a separate ontroller/preamp/processor or will a separate audio-video receiver like the Denon AVR-3806:

http://ca.denon.com/ProductDetails/623.asp

or Onkyo TX-SR804 suffice:

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR804&class=Receiver&p=i

or some similar audio/video receiver.

Basically,

I am trying to figure out what is the best option, getting a separate

controller/preamp/Processor or a audio-video receiver to go with a

Earthquake Cinénova Grande 7-Channel amplifier and which product one

would recommend based on the amplifier and speakers I am running...

[since

HDMI 1.3 will be important in the future and I will therefore have to

upgrade the controller or receiver in the near future, I only want to

invest in a controller or receiver that matches my equipments

capabilities (speakers and amp) that I am running and one where I am

not paying for capabilities and features I cannot use or need... I also

figured integrated A/V receivers our easier to sell in the buy and sell

then dedicated controllers thus making it easier to upgrade...]

Thanks.

The pre-processing capabilities of AV receivers are often much better than their amplification abilities: so good job on getting the seperate amp.

If you are looking for fairly new features such as HDMI switching, you're going to end up going with a receiver. The makers of preprocessors have a bit more at stake with new models and often wait longer before releasing new connection types and such. Other than the Anthem AV40/AV50 I don't know of many preamp processors that have HDMI switching. I would look at Pioneer too, they have a lot of advanced features right now; if I'm not mistaken the entry level Pioneer Elite can be had for ~$640

The pre-processing capabilities of AV receivers are often much better than their amplification abilities: so good job on getting the seperate amp.

If you are looking for fairly new features such as HDMI switching, you're going to end up going with a receiver. The makers of preprocessors have a bit more at stake with new models and often wait longer before releasing new connection types and such. Other than the Anthem AV40/AV50 I don't know of many preamp processors that have HDMI switching. I would look at Pioneer too, they have a lot of advanced features right now; if I'm not mistaken the entry level Pioneer Elite can be had for ~$640

In terms of the quality of audio output, does a seperate a/v receiver (like the pioneer elite you mention, or say the Denon 3806 or Onkyo 804) offer similar audio quality to some of the preamp processors out there or do I lose out on something by going with the integrated audiovideo receivers by Pioneer, Denon, and Onkyo vs. a preamp processor?

I would always hold to the idea that a seperate pre/pro is going to provide better sound quality, but in all practicality the difference really isn't that huge - especially in comparison to the other weaker links in the chain. In fact, you'll find that most of the equipment is actualy using most of the same parts. The largest advantage to going seperates is the isolation you achieve by having everything housed in a seperate cabinet and spread further apart.

Just make sure you don't go with an "entry level" unit. The base line recievers have been undergoing sacrifices in sound quality so they can pack in more features at the same price point. I'm more familiar with the Denon line as that is my preferred brand of reciever, and I wouldn't recommend going below the 3800 series. The 3806 is certainly a very fine reciever.

It sounds like you currently have a reciever and just recently added a multi-channel amp? I would probably recommend holding out for the HDMI / DVI and BluRay / HDVD "wars" to pan out and settle down a bit. Once established, the formats should be pretty standard for the next 5 years or so.

I would always hold to the idea that a seperate pre/pro is going to provide better sound quality, but in all practicality the difference really isn't that huge - especially in comparison to the other weaker links in the chain. In fact, you'll find that most of the equipment is actualy using most of the same parts. The largest advantage to going seperates is the isolation you achieve by having everything housed in a seperate cabinet and spread further apart.

Just make sure you don't go with an "entry level" unit. The base line recievers have been undergoing sacrifices in sound quality so they can pack in more features at the same price point. I'm more familiar with the Denon line as that is my preferred brand of reciever, and I wouldn't recommend going below the 3800 series. The 3806 is certainly a very fine reciever.

It sounds like you currently have a reciever and just recently added a multi-channel amp? I would probably recommend holding out for the HDMI / DVI and BluRay / HDVD "wars" to pan out and settle down a bit. Once established, the formats should be pretty standard for the next 5 years or so.

I currently have a fine Pioneer Elite receiver, but it only supports 5.1 and since I wanted a 7.1 setup I wanted to upgrade.

The 3806 Denon sells for $1000 at Costco.com and hell, at $1000 I am more than willing to upgrade the controller every 3-5 years.

My concern was that a integrated receiver (like the 3806) might have sound audio disadvantage over a seperate controller and hence my concern...