IMAX speakers w/ 18" woofers....

post-20833-13819318047016_thumb.jpg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my god are they some big speakers! I would love to go to a cafe "or anywhere for that matter" that used klipsch for audio!

Ok...ok you all talked me into it! I will have a proper look at the JBL line (I had a look before but wasnt sure what to get)

I have a sneaking suspicion that the peaveys sounded pretty good to me because of all the really crappy pro audio stuff I have heard? I just always thought that pro audio was doomed to sound pretty bad, so when I heard the peaveys and they sounded descent I jut decided to run with it!

and also! I get my amplifier today! (hopefully If I can get a lift into town) so the bad boy should be up and running today! I havent heard a real bass line in so long, so be prepared for lots of very bias reviews on it lol.

ohhh Im not minding the look of those mackies [Y] I can get all JBL here in the land down under, and I think I should be able to get Mackie to (they do have a dealer in australia) I especially like the look of the S225 passive towers (2 way with dual 15's) but have no idea on the pricing o I shall have a search around now. I never even knew of the brand before it was mentioned here!

HAHA, Tarpon Springs Outdoor Performance Ensemble (Tarpon Springs HS,

Pinelas County Florida (I don't go there)) uses Mackies in their

marching shows. There were two of the self powered dual 12s (SA1232z) on

a trailer on the opposite sidelines from the stands in the Georgia Dome

and they filled that place with bass! Very impressive. They also had

two of the SA1532zs in the front but I don't think they used them. Back

on topic, something I found to be too good was that the entire Kicker

Comp line can be used free air .....baffling....(no pun intended)

Now you're talkin... [Y]

Good PA gear should NOT sound like
crap - wouldn't that kinda defeat the purpose of recreating the live
event in our own homes? [^o)]

For what it's worth, it was the
Klipsch PA systems that got me hooked on Klipsch (after which I then
discovered this forum and their wonderful home lineup). I really really
like everything about the Klipsch pro gear - and it's sad that they
don't make it anymore. But if you happen across any KP-362, KP-302,
etc...then by all means consider pursuing that route. Your ears will
thank you later [;)] JBL is nice too (seems they have a product for
every application and price point), but not my favorite. What can I
say? I don't like the idea of harmonizing the world...(Harmon
International now owns almost all of the old great companies). And make
sure you look up the prices for the Mackie gear - their powered stuff
is real nice, but it comes with a hefty price tag too. Try to avoid
anything that comes in a plastic enclosure...

yeh the mackie tower that I am interested in comes with a wood enclosure....... a definite bonus. The price seems to be also good for it at around AUS$2000 for a pair (maybe less if I both brought at the same time) so for all you people that cant be stuffed doing an aussie to american conversion, thats about the same price as a pair of RF-82's.

I dont have to worry about the price of active speakers, because I like passives. Although actives probably have amplifiers custom made for the speaker, for me I love the **** factor of having lots of amplifiers and such in a rack.....just looks good to me!

I would be very interested (always have been) in klipsch pro (saw a pair on ebay a while ago with an active and down firing passive 15"?) but thats one thing i am very unlikely to happen, because in australia it seems discontinued klipsch gear is next to impossible to find!

It turns out I will be getting the amplifier for the sub tommorow! I am not expecting "amazing things" from the current sealed enclosure (but should be good non the less) and I have all my money on the ported lay out. when I get the amp I shall post pictured and what not. does anyone think there would be any problem with the amp residing on the top of the subwoofer box? or would this just shake the crap out of the amps internals? it's a PA amp so I would be thinking that it would be fairly hardy.

I would get some of those Mackies except I can't afford them and I

don't have any place for them. Actually the local bowling alley i go to

uses six Cerwin Vega V-15Bs, which sound very good as well, and have

TONS of bass [Y][Y][Y]. Then again, its what Cerwin Vega is known for.

Yeah, there are some CP-1s on ebay

(http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Klipsch-CP-1-Cornwall-Pro-3-way-speakers_W0QQitemZ110069557030QQihZ001QQcategoryZ47094QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

just FYI. Anyways, does the fact that a sub can be used free air give

it large flexibility in box sizes?

Got a model number on those Mackie speakers you're looking at? I didn't know you had such a large budget for speakers... [:o]

Btw, I like having seperate amp racks too. It's easier to move stuff around that way too (provided you get a rack with wheels). One rig I did a lot of work with had an amp rack that had to be carried - It probably weighed 200 pounds [N]

mwhahahah! I got the sub ported.......got the behringer amp perched ontop of the sub box......and I am loving it! Although the sub runs out of puff alot before the amp does, the bass is great! got to crank it up today (all day right next to clipping) and bass filled the house! the 30hz filter works a treat, when deactivated power handling drops way down. 2 rooms across from my bedroom the dryer mounted on the wall was going crazy....almost looked like it was about to fall off. I am very happy with the sub compared to the RW-12. The RW had a annoying little chuffing sound when it went down low (the DIY doesnt have a hint of this even with the filter disabled) and the DIY has plenty more slam to it.

All-in-all I am very happy with the end result! will make an awsome party sub.

Pics will be posted soon!

Pro gear,in this case speakers can sound very good. Audiophiles dismiss them because they do not soften or embelish the signal fed.And if it is harsh they will reward you with a harshness that will leave you crawling.

I have some Cerwin Vega pro monitors and a sub and they are amazing dynamics,clarity and they are very directional.I like directionality of horn loaded upper registers,plus you can push them where the RF7/RF83 would not dare venture(ear bleeding SPL). I use them for techno or any electronic music.

aahhh it was good while it lasted. I thought I would go ahead and test FUSIONS power handling stats, and lets just say I am now a very big non believer in the FUSIONS rated 600WRMS continuous power handling......... The techno song "flash back" proved it! without any clipping of the amplifier (it was running very easy on the gain), no bottoming out from the driver and no sad sounds at all from the sub, it went up in smoke!!! the bass cut out and smoke billowed out from the ported box! Now the voice coil probably resembles something like a burnt roast dinner........ anywayz I went back to look at the FUSIONS specs on the web site and was dismayed that the VC was only 2.5" in diametre! no wonder it smoked! Oh well the search now continues for a more capable subwoofer system...I think I will save my pennies for now and delay the speakers for a bit so I can get something along the line of 6 10" subwoofers or 4 12" subwoofers that I can rely on not to go up in smoke!

lol about 30 seconds or so..........well thats what they must rate their continuous power handling at lol......and no not to expensive, nothing to cry over anyway.

ya and after my old man stops trying to run around town getting me a refund (he thinks I should be refunded, I dont really) and after he figures out theres no way he can get a refund for me, ill cut off the cone and show some pics of the toasty toasty VC just for you darkside[:)]

And now the search continues for a more capable subwoofer! I always liked the idea of a cylinder 18inch sub ported way down low! (I just gotta find a suitable 18inch driver in australia, which is a mission within itself)

At the moment I have my RF-15's running using my HK3480 as a makeshift "pre amp" and the behringer for power. and I must say I am very impressed with how this "cheap" PA amp sounds with such a pair of speakers (the RF-15's can sounds so harsh it almost sounds like chalk scraping lol) It sounds very sharp and defined.....not exactly smooth and delicate. The treble doesnt extend as high as the HK, but vocals are much more defined and somehow louder than they used to be (instead of getting lost in the music at high SPL levels)

Its very very interesting to see how this "cheap" Pro Audio amp performs against a "higher end" amplifier with alot less power.

Can't wait to see that VC[:D].

I, however, can say I've never
really experienced my 15s sound as harsh as chalk. I run them of an
HK-3380 so my setup is very similar to yours without the Behringer,
just less power and a few other features. Personally, my 15s have
always been smooth and enjoyable, thoughh I do have to EQ the treb a
little from the receiver to get it to sound right...

I'd recommend some drivers for you except there is that whole availability thing in Austrailia...[:S]

there would be no questions about it, if I lived in america I would buy a TC sounds subwoofer so fast it would blind you [;)] but alas I do not......

Lol Im sorry I wasnt supposed to say the RF-15's are a bad speaker (they are not) its just that I try play them quite loud (probably about 100W into each speaker) they start to sound very muddled up! I am always kicking myself for not buying a more bigger and efficient speaker that klipsch sells....say the RF-35's at the time, because I know I like my music loud and shouldnt have gotton the RF-15's for the way I use them (It could almost be called "speaker abuse" and I should be sentenced to the full penalty of the law [:P]) but when used the way they are designed for (medium levels) they sound great! It's just that with the behringer the sound keeps "together" at higher levels and doesnt blur as much. When I use my RF-15's I dont touch the treble, but I have to admit to adding about 3-4db gain for the bass (Aint I just a serial abuser!)

Dont worry when my dad gives up the whole refund thing (it just aint gonna happen!) You will get your pictures!

Also I just sent an email to Adire Audio (I can get them here) about the availibility and price for the 18" Maelstrom D2 subwoofer, which I very much like the look of (especially the very low resonant frequency!) so hopefully if the price is right I shall end up ordering one! (after more money saving.....always with the money saving)