Curious Chorus II info needed

33klfan

I thought the bass of these were suppose to be pretty substantial. Now some comments leave me doubting that some. I actually got to hear them today, and they sounded fine, a little shy with bass, but i didn't crank them too loud and they were only hooked up to a newer sony receiver. I would think with my pioneer, they would have much more kick. I know over newer receivers with my sf-1's, the pioneer gave it quite a kick.

Like the sf-1's in my room, the tweeter is lower than my ears. I was thinking of raising them which i tried and sounded better, but should i do that with the chorus II's, or let them on the floor? Thanks.

Compared to the SF-1's it's not going to be a comparison whatsoever. Your room is going to dictate most of the bass response anyway.

Btw, I forgot to mention that I currently run Chorus II's with an SC-1 center. Is it ideal? Heck no, but it's better than having no center channel. I originally purchased it to be used as a center channel for my 30 year old Marantz 940's, which btw is an extremely close timbre match. But for movies I still use my Chorus II's...even though I could easily drop the 940's in (just gotta move a cable).

As far as shielding, I have my mains about 18 inches from the TV and have no adverse side effects. 12 inches is putting it right on the edge though - you might find that you'll need to rotate the speaker a bit to avoid any interference.

My Chorus II's have the K 48's. Never heard of another woofer in them. I understand there have been many versions of the K 48 but still only woofer I ever recall being used in them. And probably more than any other speaker I've owned I agree with the woof needing juice. The more juice the tighter more controlled and weight from the Chorus II. Probably of all the speakers I know personaly it would by far be the best candidate for biamping the top section from the bottom. Might be the only complaint I personally would have with them is they could of used 2 pairs of binding posts.

33klfan,

as Dr Who pointed out, I did have the series 1, not the II's.

I started life with SF3's, snagged a set of RF 3's which were noticably ahead of the SF's, and ultimately moved to a new set of 7's, which did everything the RF 3's did, only much easier.

I listen to alot of blues, jazz, very little rock. Most of my listening is done at lower db, and of any I have tried the 7's come to life the earliest (wich coincides with the sensitivity).

I am becoming somewhat anal about my 2 channel, won't waste my tubes on ht, so have my RF 3's next to my 7's, beside the monitor, and seperately cabled them to my Rotel reciever for ht.

The odd man out is the RC 7 with the 3's, but, am not done experimenting yet so.......

Forgive me, I am getting so caught up in this I have forgotten the original question, sorry.

The Chorus will smoke the SF's in mid to upper end, even setting on the floor without risers, but, may leave you "wanting" a sub (even for 2 channel).

33klfan,

The Chorus will smoke the SF's in mid to upper end, even setting on the floor without risers, but, may leave you "wanting" a sub (even for 2 channel).

Noway does the Chorus II require a sub for great 2 channel listening IMHO.

33klfan,

That's gonna depend on the music to which you listen. I know I couldn't live with Chorus II's without a sub... [:(]

33klfan,

That's gonna depend on the music to which you listen. I know I couldn't live with Chorus II's without a sub... [:(]

I was under that same impression with other amplification I've used with the Chorus II's. It seems that between the Marantz as a pre and QSC as the amplifier the combination leans towards the warm,rich side with a very strong foundation. With other ss set ups I've had in the past the Chorus II's were always lean.But just to give folks who are looking for the perfect system for themselves I must say that I do give up resolution over some of the other systems I've had. It's sorta like pick your poison and find the best compromises. I would imagine I fall into the category of a sub with my music tastes. It just appears that its going to take a darn good sub to even be heard without being boomy.

And yes I think the Dukester just got the 43 and the 48 confused and I do believe it is a pro woof as he suggests. And juice and synergy appears to be the answer for the 48.

I can't speak for what the woofer is, but I can say that I ran my Chorus I's with ADCOM 100wpc Mosfet amp. The "Punch" that you talk about just wasn't there. I complained many times to my dealer and he assured me that the ADCOM was plenty powerful.

Fast forward 15years, I had the opportunity to latch onto a Sunfire Signature Theater Grand 450wpc. All I could say is "WOW" I never imagined how tight the bass could be from these "Cornwall Replacements" (that's what I was told when I bought them, Now that's a pretty tall task from what I understand).

In My summary think one thing with Choruses "HEADROOM"!!!!!

Question: Did you buy these new or uses?

If used, maybe the previous owner had reason to remove the woofer and got the polarity reversed on one and only one of the speakers. If your careful, you can remove the entire crossover by removing the binding post housing. It'll be clearly marked, then shine a flashlight into the open hole to view the plus/minus marks on the woofer itself. if one is out of phase (wired backwards) one speaker is pushing while the other is pulling, effectively cancelling themselves out. On second thought, don't go through that much effort. First just switch the speaker wire connections on one of the speakers, if the bass improves then look deeper.

These things should have your neighbors calling the police. I know I can't tell if my SW10 II is even on most of the time. Only when extreme explosions during movies.

theplummer, i didn't win these on ebay, so therefore i don't have them.Ii'm kind of confused if your asking me this question because i think the drivers worked fine when i listened to them. I will share some things i noticed. On the front of one of the drivers, one of the screws looked different. All the other ones didn't look tampered with. On the rear driver, one screw wasn't even there. Also, there was no hole, so i'm not sure what the thing is there unless it was missed at factory which i doubt but who knows.

Ok, Now I'm a little clearer on what's happining. You don't own Either Chorus I's or Chorus II's, you auditioned a pair of II's with a newer sony receiver of some type.

I own a set of I's, the difference is I's have two front firing 4" ports located at the bottom of the cabinet. These must sit on the floor to achieve proper bass loading.

I have only heard II's once at the dealer a couple of years later, don't remember that experience much though. I do know that the II's have a 15" passiver radiator in the rear in a sealed cabinet. Seems that it would not need to necessarily be floor critical, though the height of them would not lend to being too high off the floor without some crazy wall mounting bracket to angle the mid horn at your listening position. Though experience with a buddies Forte's,tells me that they are VERY critical about corner placement, distance from wall, angle of the speaker, relationship to other furniture, and such. The forte's properly positioned about 18" from a corner, with a pillow placed on the floor in the corner, not only deepened the bass, it also tightened it up by deadening some standing waves.

I shyed away from any passive radiator type speaker in the past due to the fact that I used to like to take my speakers outside occaisionally and was concerned with open air type usage. Now that I'm older and less prone to want to move these behemoths, I wish I would have gotten the II's.

As for the drivers working correctly, I never said that there may be something wrong with them. I merely tried to give a suggestion as to why the Chorus was "lacking" in bass. If one of the drivers is hooked +/- and the other is +/+ the woofers will ultimately be working against each other. This is called out of phase. When say a kick drum strikes, and an electrical signal is sent to the woofers to re-create that kick drum to each speaker, because the connections are switched one would push out at the same time the other pulls in, therefore cancelling themselves out and decreasing the audible sound created. Afterall sound is nothing more than a rapid increase in air pressure. So, if one speaker is creating a positive pressure at the same time the other is creating a negative pressure, they would tend to cancell each other out.

This is the best way my non-engineer head can seem to grasp this stuff. Any more detail and I'll defurr to Dr. Who. or many of the other experts here.