Centre speaker RC-64 timbre matching

paw10264

I want a centre speaker that sounds natural on dialogue. The RC-64 centre seems OK on films. Does anyone have an opnion on the best centre for voice from film or sitcom type HDTV?

Money is always an issue so I am looking at matching the RC-64 with RF-62s at the front. The RC-64 has a 1.25 inch tweeter and four 6.5 inch woofers. Will this be timbre matched to the RF-62 with its 1 inch tweeter and dual 6.5 inch woofers?

Salemen (why are they always men) are pushing the older RF-25 fronts. The prices are about the same as the RF-62s. I am concerned that the older tweeters are crossed over at lower frequecnies and that this may mean they sound different. Again, anyone out their with a view?

Its great to have a forum like this. I have enjoyed reading your comments.

The RC-64 is not supposed to be a match for the RF-62s.  It matches the timber of the RF-83 and RF-63.  The tweeters are not the same size, nor is the motor structure the same.  The recommended center is the RC-62.  IMO, I would go with the recommend center.  BTW, the RC-64 is a huge speaker, and IMO, would overpower the RF-62s both visually and sonically. 

The RF-25 is a series III speaker, and the drivers are different in the series IV, as is the internal design of the enclosure, and the crossover.  The RF-25s should be priced much less than the newer RF-62s.
Lou

others are right that the RC64 is a monster, it's over 60 lbs. Sonically, I think that the 64 doesn't even match the RF82s that I have for left and right, and almost certain that it will not match the older RF25s any better. On the RC64, playing female dialogue at louder volumes will produce less siblance( the "tss" effect on pronunciation of "s" in words). The RF82s with a brighter tweeter still will introduce this effect pretty much at any normal listening levels. For a home theater setup, the center speaker is the most important speaker, so why not spend a bit more on your center? I plan on upgrading my RF82s to the 63s sometime in the near future, because I love the new tweeter and I do listen to quite a bit of music on 2 channel as well.

The 25s are an older model and the only reason that your dealer is pushing the 25s is to get rid of their older inventory to make room for newer stuff. Go and have a listen and pick the one that you like, but there should be no reason why the 25s are going for the same price as the 62s unless your dealer is giving you a big price cut on the 62s. I have a friend that has a distrubition account with the Klipsch and can get great prices on Klipsch line, and am pretty certain that your dealer is simply trying to sell you something that will only help them make room for the newer stuff.

The 64 is a monster and give up on finding an entertainment center that can house it.

I did some searching before I got my 64 and found this stand, http://www.bushfurniture.com/bushindustries/bushfurniture/productdetail/productdetail4.jsp?id=VS11536A-03&id18=TV&id19=36. I'll have to get some pics of the 64 in place and post them but it just fits within the shelf.

James

There's really no downside to the RC64 other than the size, weight, and cost of it compared to the 62. The 64 does sound better than the 62, so if you are willing to pay more for better performance, I think that most people can overlook its larger size and heavier weight. The 64 weighs about 60lbs, and it feels even heavier than that when moving it around. I personally don't mind bigger speakers at all, and I love the way it produces the movie dialogue.

I just bought but have not yet installed RF-82's. The sales guy told me that the RC-64 was the match. Should I challenge that advice and get the RC-62 instead? What is the down side of the RC-64 (besides the massive size)?

Here is the match direct from tis site, http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rf-82-home-theater-system.aspx. It has the RC-62 as the center channel speaker, I would go with that. I would question the sales guy about that, does he get commission?

James

Not to mention if your have the cash for the 64 you may want to buy the 62 and invest the extra into a used two channel amp to drive the 82's. Mine sound excellent with just the yamaha receiver but I know if I had some more power it would really make them shine. Or, upgrade the sub. The center channel handles a lot of the voices and when you think about it do you need someones voice coming at you at 250 watts. The 62 is 150 watts, with a peak of either 400 or 600. Thats plenty of room for good dialogue. If you are really into loudness like I am you will listen to your music in two channel. And, not many recievers can really push the 64. If your reciever is 110 rms or 120 rms, you are really making it work over time with the 82s and a 64 up loud. Even though its rated at 7 channel, 770 watts, you have one power supply and if you have that baby up loud you are really making that reciever work harder than it was intended to. I am completely happy with the 62. My dream right now is of the 83s. Only because I do not value my hearing.[:D]

I appreciate the feedback. I'm not a techie when it comes to this stuff - Just know what sounds good. So I really appreciate the input. I hadn't thought about an amp to boost the receiver. I'll challenge the sales guy again so make sure I have the right match up.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Having listened to many brands, price points and advice, I have now installed the RC-62 centre with RF-82 fronts and RS-52 surrounds powered by the Denon 2807. Needed a subwoofer that was smaller in size than the Klipsch so purchased the new Whatmough-Wise impulse (Australian manufacturer) which is just brillant with a 10" driver (quick response for music dvds) and such low distortion that it can be as loud as you like.

The RC-62 centre is great - clear on dialogue and good tonal quality. The RF-82s could have been the RF-62s with no loss of enjoyment on movies but with better bass extension they are more suitable for stereo music, although the 62s with a good musical subwoofer (which generally means a 10" woofer) also sound OK. If only watching movies and music dvds, the 62s are fine. For the surrounds, I have found a trend for newer dvds to put much more information in the surround channels, so go as big as you can install/afford. I settled on the 52s as a compromise. Go the RS-62s if you can.

For me, this is the ideal system for the family room 5.5m long and 4.5m wide. A door on the front wall in the right corner and a door on the side wall on the left rear makes speaker placement difficult. Non-Klipsch enthusists may be interested to know that while the old Bose cube system was easier to install, the new system is superior in all the important areas.