RF 82: changing filter components

bizorba

I dont think there are very many modifications for the reference line as i remember others asking and being turned down. (except for the RF-7)

What is the problem with the current cross-over? do you not like the sound?

As they say if there is no problem, don't try to fix it! The way I see it, most people on this forum use crossover mods to refurbish old heritige X-overs or fix a problem that they have identified (with the RF-7 alot of people didn't like the bright top end, so this was dulled with a crossover mod) and can be changed with an X-over mod. That said I would think the RF-82's crossover would be fairly spot on as is, and any tinkering would probably result in sound degredation, or no difference at all. I find it's best to trust the people that design you'r speakers......they are designed to very good standards.

Regards Brendan

Well the RF 82 have a very good sound but in my expérience changing filter standard components for same values but higher quality improves the sound between 30% - 50% if you use components like mundorf, jensen or duelund coherent audio. It's not cheap but that's a major improvement!

So if somebody 's got the values of components (especialy inductors)....

I agree with DrWho to a point. I definitely think the 30% to 50% improvement is overstating things just a bit. I don't really think you can put a percentage to it.

You should take out the networks and look. Cap and resistor values are clearly marked on the parts -- if you're just replacing parts you don't really need a schematic. You should leave the inductors alone. Klipsch uses air cores in the HF circuit anyways, and if your replacements don't match almost exactly in both inductance AND DCR you'll just end up ruining the speaker. Also, the HF inductors are measured while on the board and mutual inductance is factored in. At any rate -- just leave the coils alone. Been there done that and consider yourself warned in advance.

Don't know what Klipsch is using in new Reference, but previous generations used epoxy coated oval metallized polypropylenes as series caps in the HF section. These are made by winding them round, and then flattening them in a clamp while the epoxy sets. This creates a lot of residual tension on the film/foil that can compromise the integrity of material. I'll just say that caps with self-healing properties shouldn't have anything done to them to encourage them into 'self-healing' -- which only happens when there is enough voltage to create an arc and seal the damage.

Back to DrWho -- If you want a cleaner, smoother and more open sounding speaker -- but don't want a major shift in sonic signature -- use a higher quality version of what you are replacing. Go with Auricaps, Kimbers, and Sonicaps -- Mundorf oils and V-caps are also O.K.

• 11 years later...

this thread was the first hit on Google, so insted of creating a new identical thread I'm bumping this one.

now 11 years later is the recomendation still not to upgrade the filter crossover?

I guess it would be a good upgrade to use components from RF-82 II in the RF-82 Mk1?

if so where can I get the parts without spending a fortune? (I'm new to this) or is it better to just wait and save up to upgrade the whole speakers to something like the RF-7 III?

The 82 and 82ii are different enough that you can't use the values from the crossover from the 82 in the 82ii, or put the crossovers from the 82ii into the 82.

Changing out the capacitors and resistors in your crossovers can be done on a tight budget - probably less than $100.00

You can find parts www.partsexpress.com

Like I said in my post above, the parts values are clearly marked on the parts themselves.

The RF-7iii is quite a jump from what you have. Seems to me you can do both -- clean up your networks and start saving for the better loudspeaker.