Make/Building backs on older (1989) K horns like the new 60th Anniversary ones.

IndyKlipschFan

+++++++++++ I went back to 2 channel for this thread .. Sorry! ++++++++

I found someone (Pat) to make with me, backs to seal in the bass bins on my k horns like the 60th anniversary ones we saw on the Pilgrimage in Hope. I am very excited about the prospects, and will let you know with pics as well as we undertake this project in the next few weeks . This week. NOW DONE!! Pat seems like a excellent woodworker, we will do this together, and let you all know what we think feel the mod accomplished afterwords.

The nice thing is, after this mod is done... it is easily a mod that can be taken off, or left on, if the desired results are / are not met.

IMO, This will be my first real "tweak" other than the upgraded AK-4 Networks last year on my 1989 K horns. I am pretty much a Klipsch "purist" in keeping things stock, but we all want that "Nirvana" experience. LOL

Like a lot of things, I am going "on a on a hunch" I am right on this one on two issues.

1) We all agree a proper seal is a MUST for K horns.

2) None of us really have 100% "perfect" rooms for them anyhow.

I suggest if this works, a lot of you might / will try it yourself too.

Wish us luck!

"I suggest if this works, a lot of you will try it yourself too."

It works, I did this in 1986 on a pair of K-horn clones built 15% oversize. 

It actually worked so well that I used the k-horn clones out in open (no corners)  fields,  for organizational parties with 3000 or so folks, that covered an area a little larger than a football field.

Before we sealed the backs of the speakers I was able to audition them with music for about 30 minutes or so and was shocked to hear a lack of bass with different kinds of music. I thought to myself....man, this guy has a great looking speaker that 'should' be capable of at least mediocre bass especially with 200 watts of solid state power.

Today after the project was done there is a definite improvement in the bass department....BIG improvement! This project is 100% reversible if a person would like to go back to the original condition without any damage to the speaker cabinet.

I must admit this has been one of the most interesting and fun projects I have ever worked on.