Horns-material-sound

rune

Does the horns in mid and tweeter of the Klipschorns have any sound in itself?I don't know if you understand what I mean...does the material of the horn have influence on the sound?

Let's say the horn is made of metal...would it sound more metallic(a)(I couldn't help it)?

Maybe by making the horn out of wood one would get a warmer sound,eeh?

cwm29.gif

Metal horns can tend to have a (YES!) metallic quality. Actually they might ring a bit, the horn resonating with certain frequencies. Many people use a caulking amterial on them to help prevent that, and a search for caulk on this board would help you find what folks here have tried. The fibreglass horns wouldn't do that as much. Some have made the mid/high horns out of wood, but that requires some interesting skills. I have a link to a site at home that has the steps one guy used for making wooden horns. Lot of work.

Marvel

This message has been edited by Marvel on 11-30-2001 at 06:02 PM

Can you please post the link?

I don't know if Klipsch has voiced this speaker with the exsisting material as the best,or if it's a matter of cost...to make the horn out of wood would be a lot of work and very expensive.

By the way,I just replaced the Monster cable on one of my Klipschorns with a simple cheap 2,5mm2 solid core copper cable,and it sounds clearer more coherent and open....

I have the deepest respect for the fantastic speaker Klipsch has made,but the component quality don't impress me.........and I know this is a cost question....I'm sure he can make it better if he get to use better components...

Happy tweaking!

Klipschorn is tha bomb!!

cwm11.gif