RSW-12 problems

sredmyer

Hello all, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I hope somebody can help me out here. I am having problems with my RSW-12 subwoofer. The problems started a couple of months ago when I noticed that my sub was not working. I say noticed because my HT system is used primarily to watch the evening news and a couple of weekly dramas on TV. It is only occasionally on the weekends that the wifey and I sit for a few hours of music that the sub even comes on (we use the auto-on feature so it is usually off). Any way when I notice that it was not working I contacted Klipsch and they were very helpful in helping me to identify the problem. It turned out that the driver was shot (showed dead open with an ohm meter) and that the amp/controller was also fried. I got a replacement driver and sent the amp/controller unit back to Hope for repairs. I asked the folks at Klipsch if they could look at the amp and tell me what went wrong so if it was something I did (push it too hard??) or something possibly wrong with my AVR I could fix it and prevent it from happening again. Due to the way they handle these amp returns they were unable to tell me anything. So I just put the whole thing back together and decided to just chalk it up to a faulty unit. Fast forward a month...I again notice that the sub is not working. I do the same tests as before and find the driver to be ok. So again I pull the amp/controller and send them to Hope for repair. This time I include in the package with the amp a note asking the folks in Hope to try to do a little diagnostics before sending it for repair. I did this at the request of the customer service tech I had been dealing with in Indy (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Steve Phillips). Again I get my amp and controller back but no failure analysis of any kind. So I put the entire thing back together but do not hook it back up to the system as I am now seriously concerned that something either in the way I use it or in my system is causing the sub to get fried. I email Steve Phillips at Klipsch Indy customer support and tell him of my concerns. Steve responded that the first replacement amp I got was a rebuild but this one was a new one and that his techs felt that I had just been unlucky so far and should just hook it up and not worry.

Well I am not so sure. To ease my mind a bit I decided to do a test. I connected an old inexpensive sub (an Optimus SW10P) into my system and disconnected all other speakers (so I could just hear the sub). I played the system for a few minutes and did not notice anything unusual. I then connected my RSW-12 and nothing. At the same main volume (on the AVR) and with both subs set to 70 on the crossover and 50% on the gain. I got nothing out of the RSW-12. I then noticed that at the volume I was playing the Sub was not waking up. Ah thats the problem (I think) and I increase the volume on the AVR. Finally the Sub does come on but the volume (the actual SPL of the sub not the volume control) is incredibly soft. Thinking that maybe there just isn't much there below the 70hz cutoff, I connected the old Optimus sub up and it was at least 3 times as loud as the RSW-12. What up with that??? The Optimus is a 10" 100watt <$150 10 year old sub. The RSW-12 is a 12" 650watt $1K 1 year old sub. What could be wrong here? Anybody got any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

I don't have a sub, but this sounds like a very frustrating issue with an expensive piece of equipment.

... Did you read about any of the other sub/amp problems in the "Subwoofer" section of the forum?...

Seems like lots of problems all of a sudden...... From what I have read over the course of the last few years,

there just seems to be issues with powered subs.. ....That is one reason I would not recommend a Klipsch subwoofer, altho I enjoy many other Klipsch products, as long as it does not have an "amp" powering it!.........................................................................................................!...........................................................................

Hey, wait a minute; I do have a subwoofer......The wifey has a 10 year old CSW "Powered" sub that is still thumpin....................altho I do agree that this may not be real "actual" audiophile subwoofage.....................