Receiver Upgrade, HDMI 1.3, and THD Spec

chitown2477

I recently upgraded from a $500 HTIB system to Klipsch speakers described below. I continue to use the receiver that came with the HTIB and I think the receiver is not strong enough for the range of sound I am looking for. I expected to hear more dynamic sound, definition, and effects. Dont get me wrong, the speakers are excellent and I a SIGNFICANT improvement; however, I think they are not being driven properly. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Below are the three receivers I am contemplating purchasing over the next two weeks or so. Price range is $800 or so. I am looking for more clean power, HDMI (1080p) switching, and more optical inputs.I have put in my thoughts on each receiver.

· Denon AVR-2307CI (High power amp, only 100w x 7, no learning /LCD remote

· Sony STR-DG1000 (Learning /LCD remote, 110w x 7, not sure of how good Sony is for home theater)

· Yamaha RX-V1600 (THD of 0.04 %, not sure if it has 1080p capable HMDI upconvert, learning /LCD remote, THX Select2 certified, 120w x 7, only $800 at Crutchfield)

Any thoughts on the best receiver to get or any others to explore? Also, please advise on the following:

1. My research shows that THD of 0.01% is ideal. However, this spec is reserved for expensive receivers. What impact will a higher THD really have and does it impact stereo sound more than home theater sound? I almost want to buy the Yamaha solely for this reason

2. Is the upcoming HDMI 1.3 is worth waiting for to get true HD surround sound?

3. Should the THX Select2 certification be a big factor? (I think not but would like to hear from you)

Thanks,

Chitown2477

· Klipsch RF-52 Floorstanders, Klipsch RC-52 Center, Klipsch RS-42 Surrounds, Definitive Technology ProSub 60

· Yamaha HTR 5740 Receiver (85w x 6, originally part of a HTIB package)

· RCA 50 Screenium DLP (1080i)

· Xbox 360 with HD-DVD Player

· Samsung Upconvert DVD Player

· DirecTv HD satellite receiver

That has been a thought of mine. However, I suspect the first round of HDMI 1.3 receivers will be expensive (reserved for high-end receivers). So in late 2007 I am thinking about upgrading to a HDMI 1.3 DVD player and letting it pass the signal through to my HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 receiver. I have heard this will work. Has anyoen else heard the same.

For those interested - this is what I found out about HDMI 1.3. However, please respond to the other questions in the original post if you can.

Ask Engadget HD: Is it worth the wait for HDMI 1.3?

Posted Oct 13th 2006 1:16PM by Matt Burns
Filed under: Ask EngadgetHD

hdmi-logo-k.jpg
The problem with blogs like ours is that you learn about technology at such a rapid pace that sometimes you put off purchasing something because you know that a better item is right around the corner. Such is the case with HDMI 1.3. Don wants a new LCD TV and receiver but wants to know if it is worth it to wait for HDMI 1.3? (Quick refresher course on HDMI 1.3: higher speed capacity, 46-bit color, support for lossless formats such as Dolby HD DTS-HD, smaller HDMI connector for portable devices.)

So is it worth waiting for the new spec to hit TVs and receivers? No and maybe. HDMI 1.3 does allow for a higher color profile but this extra space is going to be used for creature comforts such as PIP and overlay menus; you will not likely see an increase in picture quality. We feel strongly that it isn't worth waiting for HDMI 1.3 to be included in a TV but it might be worth getting an HDMI 1.3 equipped AV receiver though. HDMI is a single cable solution and currently if you want the lossless audio such as Dolby TrueHD soundtrack from your HD DVD disc, a person needs to use six analog RCA cables instead of one HDMI cable. Many people keep audio receivers for years more than the TV stays as the main set in the household and you don't want to limit yourself in that regard but these receivers can cost lots more then your Best Buy/Circuit City ad piece. If a person is looking to drop more on the receiver then the TV, then yes, wait for HDMI 1.3 otherwise you are going to be waiting a long time for 'em to hit the $500 mark and still be quality. In the end Don, it's all about personal preference and how much of an investment it is for the person.

Thanks for the question Don and hope it helped.

chitown2477:

I had a similar problem with power output of the newer Denon (below) which did not have enough power to drive the entire system so I configured the old receiver to drive the K-horns and the new receiver to drive the center channel and sub and side and rear speakers with the preamp outputs driving the old amp. Set the volumes to where you want for balance then just use the volume on the master receiver and it works just fine for power output.

JJK