Audcom AP100 tube replacement suggestions needed

ajcllc

This is my first tube preamp, and I just got this deal on an Audcom AP100. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for replacement tubes, because the ones that are in it seem to be a little bright. I am using a Denon DVD 2900, a Sherbourn 7/2100A amp, and Forte II's as my mains. Has anyone tried the Mullard 12au7's with an Audcom? Any suggestions to get a warmer sound? Thanks!

I don't know about a warmer sound, but lots of tube-heads use NOS tubes for a different sound (i.e. better), especially if the stock tubes that came with your pre are Chinese military tubes. Having never seen an Audcom in person, I have no suggestions to offer. I'm sure any Mullard or Telefunken 9-pin tubes would certainly help in achieving a warmer sound for you; also using NOS Sylvania, RCA, Tung-Sol, Ken-Rad, GE, etc. Your best bet if no one can offer you any concrete answers is to buy a few different brands and listen for yourself. There is no single right answer to your question since so many different brand tubes sound a bit different from each other.

Good luck in your quest.