2speaker vs. 4speaker static problem

Inferno

I've looked through the archives for this specific prob with no luck so...

When I put my 4.1s in 2speaker mode (with a SB Audigy) I get great sound, but obviously only in the front 2 speakers. When I change it over to 4speaker output, I get static and buzz from mainly the fronts, but the rears too.

I've had the speakers for a few months and just upgraded the sound card from a PCI 128. The same problem occured w/ the old card, but I found setting in volume control that really minimized it. I've tried to do the same with the new card but can't. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

--Inferno

Try hooking just the fronts and then just the rears to a portable cd player that u know works. It could be a combination between noise inside your computer, and the audigy. Make sure you mute all sources your not using, line in, microphone, aux, etc. If they work fine with the cd player, it is probably a sound card problem, I think you should make sure your mixer is optimised.

Well, I tried hooking up the CD player, but the only one I have sucks the bigggins, so that wasn't a real good indicator of how the speakers sound. HOWEVER, I did figure something else out. If I set the balance/fade control to only one speaker, the static goes away. This works for all speakers at all volume levels. It's when the balance/fade goes back near the default where all speakers get an equal amount the static returns.

Like you said, it seems like a soundcard issue, but I can't figure out any mixer settings (other than fading to 1 speaker or setting 2 speaker output) that fixes it. Any more help? I have changed PCI slots for the soundcard to no avail. Thanks again,

--Inferno

This message has been edited by Inferno on 12-01-2001 at 02:07 PM

what normally fixes these weird phenomenons (woooh, spelling) is uninstalling the sound card completely, all drivers and software packages. making SURE no other sound card junk is still in the computer. put in the sound card in a slot as far away form the video card as possible and follow the instructions to install it. then go to creative's website and make sure you have the latest drivers and patches.

don't you love it when things make NO sense on why they go wrong??? ohwell, hope this helps.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

• 4 weeks later...

I too have an Audigy X-Gamer soundcard and have noticed the periodic static when balance/fade is set near DEFAULT. If I move it in any direction and the sound becomes perfect. I stripped all of the previous drivers (LiveWare 3.0) out before installing the Audigy and Audigy drivers. I have also since uninstalled/reinstalled (3 the Audigy drivers, and the problem remains. Didn't have the 4.1's with the old SBLive! so I can't do a comparison w/o swapping out the cards. I'm thinking that it may be a driver problem? but I'm not sure. I am running 98se on a PIII 800EB with an ASUS CUSL-2C mb w/o onboard sound. Any/all help would be appreciated.

make sure your sound card is not set next to a modem, NIC card and most importantly a video card. they can cause problems... video card, then modem then NIC ... that is the order from worse intereference to little (or none).

your computer also might have a like 3dB gain on it.. my old sony did and so i just baisically brought down teh EQ about 2-3dB and got great sound. i used mediajukebox to do this.

------------------

-justin

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

The NIC card is closest, but wouldn't the interference be present regardless of the fader settings in Audigy HQ. If I move the little round cursor around in the fader/balance box the distortion stops, but when centered as it is when in the default setting the distortion returns. This is most prominant playing a CD, but also present in games or while using Windows Media Player. If I use the preloaded song samples in the Creative software the speakers perform flawlessly, regardless of the fader settings. I'm stumped. Frown.gif

i have been around and around this problem. i purchased the ProMedia 4.1's after one of my Acoustic Research Speakers that i bought five years ago burst, and what i thought was lots of research into the best computer speakers. i own a Mac and only had a two channel port, but was informed the ProMedia's would work with an adapter. i anxiously awaited my speakers and received them after ordering them from Klipsch's web site in November. When i plugged the speakers in i heard noticable crackling noises and hiss during playback of Mp3's (most of which were encoded at 44khz/320kbps--and none lower than 128kbps). i also observed this sound while playing regular audio CD's.

Thinking it was the adapter, i purchased another that was recommeded by Klipsch that had gold plating or something fancy like that. Still the hiss and crackling noises plagued me. i noticed that if i only had one set of speakers plugged in the noise stopped, so i thought that regardless of what Klipsch said, the speakers would not give me satisfactory performance without a soundcard that provided the capability to plug in all the speakers the way they were intended to be plugged in to the computer, so i bought the "Soundblaster Live" for Macintosh.

i have plugged these speakers in every way imaginable, i have moved them farther from my monitors and my computer. i have plugged the electric plug in into a surge protector, i have the front two speakers on one end of the room and the rear speakers now behind me. i have messed with the surround sound, i have turned off every sound source except the ones absolutely necessary for playing music, i have unplugged and replugged the speakers in almost every configuration imaginable. i still experience loud hissing noises from these speakers that completely destroys the experience of ambiant music that i enjoyed listening to while working. "Crystal Clear Sound" is a tremendous overstatement when it comes to these speakers. i am dissatisfied to the point of tears of rage.

i want to return these speakers, but fear this will not be acceptable as i have repeatedly asked about the returns policy in the e-mail exchanges with the tech support person from Klipsch to no response to this aspect of my questioning. And then, i don't even know where to begin to purchase a new set of speakers that truly offer the sound this crappy product from Klipsch promised. Owning a Mac, i have simply come to expect things to work as promised without me having to fiddle with it to make it do so. However, being a previous WinTel PC user, i am no stranger to fiddling.

i have a B&W G3, and i STRONGLY advise any other Mac user out there to be wary of these speakers. However, although i read too many reviews to count prior to the purchase of these speakers, i did not read the messages in this forum... had i done so, i doubt i would be sitting here typing out this whining missive into the noosphere.

------------------

"never attribute to

malice that which can

equally be explained by

stupidity."

My mom's company is all mac... i have to fiddle more with those then with our windows computers... they have iMacs, iBooks, PowerBooks, and the G4 towers, a total of I think 20 computers, all under two years old. We have to call in Riachard our Apple Tech guy once a week LoL! FOr the 3 PC's we have there we have never needed tech support, except for a printer problem.

NEWAYS Smile.gif...

Your set must have a defective control pod, who did you call or email for support? Klipsch really does not do returns that often. But, withing the first 30 days you could send it back to KLipsch and get a new one at no cost for shipping, after that you would pay for shipping. You might just ahve to send in teh control pod. Email Amy about your situation.

------------------

-justin

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, it's been a while!

anyways, i had this exact same problem. i finally tried to correct it when i got an acoustic edge for christmas.

unfortunately, it's still happening, to a lesser extent.

i've noticed that some of my SBLive! drivers were still on my computer. leave it to creative to make uninstall software that DOESNT work. i'm going to uninstall the A.E. and delete all sound drivers, then reinstall. hopefully that'll do it.

unfortunately, i purchased my speakers in july, so my warranty's void, so it's not like i can complain to klipsch. cwm23.gif

Good luck...I did a reformat and reinstalled the Audigy drivers and the newest version from their website....static is still there during games, ICQ startup foghorn, playing CD's etc, except in 2 speaker mode or when I move the fader around anywhere but center...Creative needs to clean up these drivers.

This message has been edited by gabriel11 on 01-08-2002 at 07:17 PM