Line Level and Speaker Output

toddvj

I have a Pioneer VSX-36tx. I am using the LFE output for my main subs. For my rear subs, I am using Speaker Wire. With this receiver, can I use the line out and the speaker out at the same time? Would the Line level output be affected by the receiver's Bass Management, or would it send a full frequency? Also, would it be possible to use just the line level and then go to the speakers from the sub without wiring the speakers directly to the amp? I don't know if I'd get enough power or even if it would work.

Todd -

Well it depends. Could you tell us more about how you are using your subwoofers and what speakers you are using?

In general the line level connections are preferred for the subwoofers. The line level signal can be split multiple without and noticable degregation.

But as I said if you could provide some more info we can help out better.

Bye,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

"With this receiver, can I use the line out and the speaker out at the same time?" I assume the line out you are referring to is the rear pre-amp output, right? Yes, you can use it and the speaker level rear output at the same time.

"Would the Line level output be affected by the receiver's Bass Management, or would it send a full frequency?" The line and speaker level outputs are both affected by the bass management.

"Also, would it be possible to use just the line level and then go to the speakers from the sub without wiring the speakers directly to the amp?" You cannot use the amp in the sub to drive speakers connected to the sub. The line level output will stop at the sub (or it will permit daisy-chaining of the line level to another amp), but it will not drive speakers hooked to the sub. To drive speakers that are connected to the sub, you would need to drive the sub via speaker-level connection to your Pioneer.

Doug

------------------

My System

DD, thanks for the info. It is very helpful. It would be cool to run Low Frequencies to my sub and everything else to my RS-3's but you pretty much shot down all my ideas for doing this. At any rate the way I have it set up now sounds really nice, I just need to do some more tweaking over the next couple weeks to get it just right. The subs I'm using are Infinity IL100s's. These are just my rear subs. I'm running "7.4" my mains are RP-5's and I'm using the LFE to them along with Bi-Wire speaker cables. I still might run dedicated front subs from the LFE in the near future and just use Speaker Wire to my RP-5's. Some would say that's overkill, but I think it will sound awesome. "7.6" is the only way to fly. I thought about "9.13" using all definitive technology powered speakers including front effects and four corner subs, but I don't want to give up my Klipsch. Plus I don't think my electrical could handle it.