Arcam AVR300 + RF7's = WOW

jstoli

I bought the RF7's back in January, and even with my 10 year old Pioneer receiver, they sounded great, although they got a bit harsh above 100 dB, presumably due to the low quality amp in the reciever. But it was time to step up something better. Since I live in an apartment right now, mega-power separates would be just plain overkill, so I decided on a good quality AV receiver. I was originally looking at the NAD T763 when I happened to read about Arcam and their AVR300 AV receiver ($2,000). The Arcam got lots of rave reviews from pros and consumers alike for both two-channel and home theater, so I decided to give one a try and bring it home for a listen.

Even though I have only listened at very moderate levels (70-80 dB), I immediately noticed a major sound improvement over my old Pioneer. To my ears, it was almost as dramatic as the switch from my previous PSB's to the RF7's. Quite a bit more detail, and a much warmer sound, which helps dampen the brightness of the horns. Deeper, tighter bass too. The unit has a hefty amp, with a big torroidal transformer to provide lots of current and reserve power. It's rated at a true 120 WPC in stereo, and 100 x 7 in surround mode. So it should have no problem driving my RF7's to the volumes I will typically listen at.

One really nice feature for audiophile types is the true "direct" mode for two-channel listening. The direct mode actually completely shuts off the digital processing in addition to bypassing that loop. Haven't listened to any surround modes yet, but I'm sure that will sound spectacular too. One last thing about the Arcam is that it's a very nice looking piece of equipment: classy and elegant, yet simple and understated, especially in black.

Anyways, I would highly recommed the AVR300, and Arcam in general, to anyone seeking an upgrade; it's well worth the money. I think I'm gonna go listen to some Frank Zappa right now.... :)

I tested this as a weekend trial and liked it compared to my Harman Kardon. Certainly better sound, but I felt it not worth justifying the price point jump to my bank account. I may revisit this again cuz my Harman drives me nuts with it's menu system and the fact that I still can't get the darned thing to do what "I" want it to. It wants to dictate to me and I can't seem to stop it. We've yet to come up with a pattern. I may look at it again some day. Sure is pretty. But I'm very interested in the Outlaw Audio stuff and in a perfect world, would love for an AV system to be as good or better than what I have since I could eliminate 1/2 my gear. :) Congratulations! I know it's rated very highly by many.

Do you find the menu system and settings to be fairly clear? I didn't get a chance to play with it to that level due to household disasters.

I need to listen to them for sure. My Harman's really pretty though with blue lights. I think for the money though, they'd have to be comparable to my VRD tubes to justify it. I do have some issues with DVD concerts, etc. currently but that might be due in part to my Denon 2900 DVD? IDK.

I need to listen to them for sure. My Harman's really pretty though with blue lights. I think for the money though, they'd have to be comparable to my VRD tubes to justify it. I do have some issues with DVD concerts, etc. currently but that might be due in part to my Denon 2900 DVD? IDK.

girls and their pretty lights [:P] it got me too though [:$]

DSC02642.JPG

DSC02641.JPG