Replacement for SS-3 surrounds ??

Me-262

I'll start off with my current setup:

Yamaha HTR 5760 7.1 reciever

Front speakers Klipsch SF-3

Center Klipsch SC-1 (soon to be replaced by something larger)

Surrounds Klipsch SS-3

Sub Harmon Kardon 10" self powered

Currently the rear surrounds are on stands which are about 36 inches off the floor. I want to mount them on the walls however

a) My wife hates them (says they're too big)

B) The pillar on one side were I would mount the Right SS-3 is just a bid narrower than the SS-3 so it will stick out. Did I mention my wife hates them ?

Her compromise: I can mount smaller speakers on the wall.

My compromise: I'll take her compromise into consideration as I do a little research.

So, my question is: What would make a good set of replacement speakers for the SS-3's that would also match the rest of my system and not break the bank ? I would sell the SS-3's to generate some of the $$$. Would bookshelf type speakers suffice or should I stick with a HT style surround speaker with angled horns like the SS-3 ? Something tall and thin would appease my better half. I'll say in advance , the primary function of this system is watching movies in a 14x17 room.

ss3bxx6.jpg

ss3in2.jpg

Welcome to the forum Me-262. I would stick with the ss-3's because Imo, you aren't going to find better sound in a smaller speaker unless you decide to go Bookshelf--but the size and mounting would still be a deterrent. Imo, a smaller bookshelf would not be comparable to what you have. Good luck with your decision and the WAF factor. [8]

Its pretty tough to find white surrounds period. If I were to use bookshelf speakers how much of a difference in sound would it make ? I do have a set of RB-5's I am not using. How important is it that I stay with a 6.5 woofer for the surrounds ? Would dropping down to a 5 or 4 inch really make a significant difference ?

The Reference surrounds are nice but very pricely. I'd rather not drop another $500 for a set.