how can a speaker be tested with an ohm reading instrument?

rem56

The voice coil resistance doesn't change.

Electric
motors produce work by passing an electric current through a magnetic
field. Generators make current by moving a coil through a
magnetic field. Some motors can function as generators.

A volt meter applies a small voltage (and thus a current) to the voice coil to measure the resistance.

Moving
the cone causes the voice coil and magnet (the "motor") to generate a
voltage and current, called Back EMF (electromotive force). The
change in voltage causes an error in the reading of your volt
meter. The meter senses a different voltage "drop" across the
voice coil telling it, erroneously, the resistance changed.
Depending on the direction of movement the voltage change could add or
subtract resistance.

If you use an ohm meter to measure the resistance across the speaker's terminals (not the speaker as a whole, just the driver/woofer) you're measuring the DC resistance of the voice coil. Since the voice coil is just a wire, you're essentially measuring the resistance of a wire.

But this DC ohm reading isn't what people refer to when they talk about speaker impedance. Impedance is the AC 'resistance' of the voice coil and varies with frequency. While a speaker might be rated 8 ohms, it's actual value may only be 8 ohms at a select few frequencies. At others, it may go below or above that rating. You'll need more than a simple multimeter to measure the impedance as a function of frequency if that's what you're looking for.

Just to add a little to the good comments above.

You haven't quite told us for what you're trying to test. "Testing" for you might be different than measuring for the rest of us. At least some of the answers addressed the difficulties of measuring.

It seems that you have disconnected the speaker box from the amp and then placed an ohm meter across the input terminals.

If you don't move the woofer, the ohm meter is measuring a certain d.c. resistance. There are a lot of components inside the speaker box, specifically the crossover filters and the various drivers. However, it is only the woofer circuit which has a path for direct current (or zero Hertz of frequency) as applied by the ohm meter.

Therefore, you are measuring the d.c. resistance of the woofer (somewhere between 3 and 16 ohms) and the d.c. resistance of the inductors (coils of wire wound around a metal core) of the low pass filter which are in series with the woofer. The inductors typically have resistances of less than 0.5 ohms.

- - -

John A. is of course correct. Assuming you two are talking about the same thing.

But let me tell you what I thought when I first read your post. It was that you were testing (maybe) a cranky or partially burnt out woofer. That would show up as a gritty - binding feeling as you push on the woofer diaphragm and no bass.

If the remains of the voice coil were getting ground around in the magnetic gap, you'd see variation in resistance.

I'm a little prejudiced to think about that because I recently did a post mortem on two woofers which had failed. For the record and the interst of others here: This required cutting apart the diaphagm and spider. The remains of the voice coil were a "slinky toy" in the gap. One slinky showed some charing of insulation on the voice coil insulation) but the other did not.

It was interesting to me that the slinky voice coils in each case had totally lost adhesion to the former and there was no evidence of any adhesive.

These were SpeakerLab 1's which used a sealed box and 8 inch woofers and a dome tweeter. The owners deny any abusive power levels and I have great trust in their verasity. (But what about the charing? Maybe someone cranked them while the owners were away.)

I don't mean to bad mouth SpeakerLab at all. They probably bought from a supplier and could not check adhesive, etc.

Best,

Gil