blues recommendations

jrios212

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so i went to best buy yesterday but couldn't find anything you guys recommended. today though i went to virgin records and picked up the following albums:

- Muddy Water - Folk Singer

- Junior Wells - Hoodoo Man Blues

- Buddy Guy - Blues Singer

- Big Blues Box - (no one recommended this but it was only $10 for a 3 cd set so i took a chance on it. it's got songs from james cotton, albert collins, johnny winter, memphis slim, ike turner and is broken down by country blues, texas blues, and guitar blues)

they had a bunch of "best of" cds by a lot of the artists you guys recommended, which was tempting but i was worried i might get poor recording or something so i just stuck to some of the actual cds you recommended.

i couldn't find the House of Blues CDs their so i'll have to get those later. i also sampled the jimi hendrix cd but forgot about it at virgin records. i'm looking forward to buying that one too.

walking through the rows of blues cds virgin records made me realize i could definitely break the bank just buying blues cds ... so much good music, so little time. my girlfriend thinks i'm turning into an old man. oh wel .. i appreciate all types of music.

keep the requests coming. :)

jacob

flannj .. i'll have to check out your newest recommendations too.

All good choices! You certainly should get your fill of Buddy Guy (he plays on all 3 of the disks you picked up). If you want to get electric Chicago blues, check out Hound Dog Taylor "Deluxe Edition" or self-titled disk AND Homesick James "Blues on the Southside". The slide guitar on both of these is absolutely awesome...even if the vocals get a little slurred at times. This is some really great/fun blues music.

Mike Bloomfield.....Al Kooper.....Steve Stills.....SUPER SESSIONS.......................Fine BLUES from Mike Bloomfield, may very well be the best recordings of Mike Bloomfield playing the Blues I have ever heard.....................GREAT CD.................Remastered.................

I forgot to mention you have to check out Buddy Guy's Legends. It is his own place on South Wabash just south of the Loop. He is plays regularly every January and attracts great talent all year round. You have to go this month and check out one of the best guitarists ever.

http://www.buddyguys.com/index.html

oh man ... i am there. thanks so much.

jacob

since all of you guys have been really nice to me about recommending stuff i thought i'd make one recommendation of my own. this is probably my favorite band at the moment and are the ones that got me thinking i'd really enjoy blues music. they play with so much emotion. if you like blues and you like rock, you'll love these guys.

the band is called "the black keys". have any of you heard of them? they have a sort of blues feel to them. it's just two guys but they have one of the fullest sounds of any band i've ever heard. they are a must see live.

i love every single one of their songs but here's a listing of some songs you might like.

album - songs:

Magic Potion - You're the One, The Flame

Rubber Factory - The Lengths, Act Nice and Gentle

Thickfreakness - Thickfreakness, Have Love Will Travel

The Big Come Up - Busted, Countdown

Let me know if you any of you guys end up buying one of their cds. I'm curious to hear what you think.

Jacob