Klipschorns in a Commercial Environment (Bar)

Hi,

I've had Klipschorns at home before a year ago and they do sound wonderful espeicially with my 7 watt per channel EL84 amp, hence why I'm getting them for the bar. But my front room 15 x 17 was a bit too small for them really, I've also had Heresy I's/Heresy II's/Leak Sandwiches/Townshend Glastonbury's/Quad ESL57's on stands (my favorite) and currently Rogers JR-149's.

The music in the bar is going to be acoustic based and mainly Folk music (hence the bar's name "Dulcimer") so I really need a good clear background sound that I can turn up on a Friday night. regarding the people that will be in the bar, Manchester has a really strong community of music lovers and it's as important to them as it is to me.

Manchester United RULES!!!!!

I love watching them in HD here in the states..

You will be very happy with K horns, almost in any situation as many have said,....... But your asking for opinions here.

Get those mids and tweeters up in the air pointing down. The sub might be needed on those crowded nights.. but not so important with background music.

Edit... Wow how did I ever miss that pic??? WOWWZA.... Just enclose the backs Look at my thread under two channel tilt the tops down just a little and OMG that has to rule!!!!!

That's right the picture is not of my bar, as I said earlier it's of David Mancuso famous LOFT soundsystem and the parties that originated in New York from the seventies at the birth of Disco, this picture is from London in 2006 as the parties are still going strong, I went last year and the sound was great. My bar is different in it's approach to music (less kick drums and deep bass needed) but will still have the same approach in sound, and yes I have got proper corners, just need to get the top units on the Khorns up high.

In the late 70s I frequented a bar (The Georgia Moon) in Augusta GA. USA. The bar was U shaped. On one end of the U was a pair of Klipschorns. They were driven by a turntable and Macintosh Tube amplifiers. They were located behind a screen. Different visuals were projected on the screen. The speakers could not be seen. The sound was very good and I enjoyed many a night there.

The other side of the bar also had speakers for background music. Same music as the Klipsch but at a lower level. The music lovers migrated to the Klipschorn side of the bar.

Khorn for PA would depend on the venue and style of music being played...I really don't think they go loud enough to be applicable to every situation. They really aren't going to be able to take much of a beating if you ever push them hard. You would also want to make sure steeper crossovers were being used.

Speaking of which, do the pro LSI's use the same K55 and K77 drivers?

Yup, only the K33 has been changed to the K43. There are a lot of them with blown K77's- just can't take the abuse.

How tall will the ceiling of this establishment be? You might consider flipping the khorns upside down and using the ceiling as the flare for the bassbin. If you're already planning on propping them up this high, I don't think it's going to be much of a change with how you design the "stand" holding them.

Wouldn't gravity make those heavy bass waves sink? [:D]

The bar Khorns is a great idea and I have been in a couple where they have been used and always walked away impressed. Using the ceiling as part of your set up is intriguing and could probably be set up in a way that makes the sound no different than if you reversed the set up. Good luck. Let us know where and you will get some American visitors.....

Cheers.

How tall will the ceiling of this establishment be? You might consider flipping the khorns upside down and using the ceiling as the flare for the bassbin. If you're already planning on propping them up this high, I don't think it's going to be much of a change with how you design the "stand" holding them.

Wouldn't gravity make those heavy bass waves sink? [:D]

Good thought there - as everyone knows, the lighter treble tones naturally drift towards the ceiling. That's why the majority of speakers have the heavier bass notes on the bottom. Flipping the cabinets upside down does cause an imbalance as the woofer notes cause flutter anomalies as they pass by the lighter tweeter frequencies. [;)]

Well,

Work will be starting on the bar soon and estimated to take 5 to 8 weeks, when finished I'll post some good pictures of the set-up, but I'm not really up for the speakers being hung upside down ? more risk of someone hurting themselves by doing something dumb like trying to hang from them ?

Until the Opening !

x

• 4 months later...

Hi Again,

Right, the bar is coming along nicely, a few minor construction issues but it's getting there.

I have a sound guy assisting me with the audio set up in the bar over both levels and I've got 14 x Martin Audio EM15 & 2 x EM26 for downstairs, he has suggested that instead of taking the top treble/mid horn section off and building up the middles (like my first picture posted on here) it would be better to get the builders to make solid wooden corner plinths about 4 foot high (like a solid bass section of the Khorn, but slightly fatter) and mount the Klipschorns up on top of them getting them to around 9 feet total height. Also as I'm only having acoustic folk music in the bar and folk bands playing he recommends there being no need to change the crossovers (the bar is a rectangle shape with a seated capacity at one end of around 70 people tops with a further 30 standing).

What do you guys thing of the above ?

Best Regards Again,

Lee