surge protectors?

tgourlie

Monster has a surge protecter specially designed for subwoofers--the powercenter 200.

It's really nice because it plugs directly onto a wall outlet (my subs in the back corner of my living room away form my other componets). You can plug your sub into it & not have to run an extension cord from the main surge protecter--very nice! Don't have one yet but will eventually.

If you get one let us know how it works!

There is a whole lot of information, misinformation, and opinion on this at the audioasylum site.

A surge suppressor will not affect the current available to your subwoofer's amp when it is not clamping surges. The MOVs used to suppress surges are connected from line to neutral, neutral to ground and line to ground, not inline with either line or neutral. The only rational concern I have seen is that the MOVs not have too low of an operating voltage so they do not conduct too often. This should not be a concern with commercial surge suppressors.