Using 4.1 Computer Rears for Home Stereo

PointSource

Whats up guys!

I have a question. I have the Klipsch 4.1 Computer speakers, the older models. What I was wondering is this:

Do the Klipsch Satellite speakers have built in passive crossovers?

What I want to do is take two of the satellite speakers and use them as my rears......I'm not a home theatre fanatic like you all Smile.gif, however, I don't want to damage the satellites.

I have a Yamaha HTR-5460 which delivers 100 watts RMS per channel. Is it okay to hook the Klipsch satellites to my receiver? I know I'll have to keep it down, the RMS rating of these are 60 I think.

I really need your help, thanks guys!

------------------

Ice is forming on the tips of my wings.....-Pink Floyd, Learning To Fly

i am not going to give any real advice on this, i don't know al the science behind it but i can tell you this, the RMS values, now called MBO is not a real number if you will. See, the 4.1's share the same sats as the 2.1's and are rated at 40 watts RMS (MBO). So, that level is not the REAL maximum that than can take, just for that system, that is the max that they are allotted.

DANG!!!!!! way off this topic but someone, my dad, placed a speaker on my moniter and now it's screwed! AGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this was a 500 dollar moniter!

so, back to your problem...

wait... turned off and on and now it works again.. whew

well, that is all i can say about this. but more than likely, ppl will advise against it. your receiver actually has 110W x 5... Smile.gif what are the speakers you are trying to match it with?

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want <A HREF="maimailto:Promediatech@Klipsch.com">email Amy</A> or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

This message has been edited by justin_tx_16 on 12-02-2001 at 08:39 PM

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the response! I have Klipsch RF-3 Main speakers, and I just want to put two of those satellites from my 4.1 in the back for rear speakers.

Do you or does anyone know if the 4.1 Satellites have passive crossovers built into the small cabinet? Or are they located in the subwoofer/amplifier cabinet? If they are in the subwoofer/amplifier cabinet, then I'm screwed.

If they are in the speaker cabinet, then I should be OK........

Thanks in advance for any help......

------------------

Ice is forming on the tips of my wings.....-Pink Floyd, Learning To Fly

the person you should ask for a definate answer would be DanF.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

i did practically the exact thing u r planning on doing a couple of monthes ago.. used 2 speakers from my v.200 set (same sat as u'res just older crossovers) as rears with my RF-3's and Yamaha HTR 5250 .. it was ok, set rears as small and just don't blast u're system and they will be fine...i bought a pair of quintets for the rears now and wall mounted them, so they sound better...they r temp until i can afford RS-3's, but first comes DVD player, RC-3 and a sub.. i can't afford this hobby...

yea well go for it, it'll be fine as long as u don't crank the volume..

kriton

------------------

System is small, but working on it...

Yamaha HTR 5250

Pair RF-3

Quintet as surrounds...

Monster cable all around

Digital cable (DD5.1 on some stuff)

RC-3 is next

That's all i can afford for now, better than most college systems...

The ProMedia satellites do have high pass crossovers in them as well as a crossover between the midrange and tweeter. Thus, you can connect them as proposed.

DanF would there be a problem with the promedia sats being rated at 4 ohms resistance and my receiver (Denon 1802) recommending 8 ohms for each channel? I like to play my movies/music pretty loud sometimes. At about -15db on my receiver. None of my sources have any amplification, gain, or volume control. I don't know what that translates to in raw decibels, but my guess woule be around 90-100 db at listening position. Do you think I will damage my pro sats?

Thanks in advance.

-UP

------------------

I love you Aki Ross!