Surround suggestions

alanc

Been reading this forum for 4-5yrs now and finally signed up as member. I've had Forte II's Oiled Oak since new(''93) doing 2 channel. Recently got a Sony 60" SXRD and loving it. Got a 6.1 receiver in '04 and decided with new TV to start using it's capabilities beyond 2 channel. I luckly found me a very nice OO Academy so I am all set with center. I am now looking for some surrounds. Because of size and what the wife will tolerate I am looking at kg series .5/1/1.2/1.5. From reading the kg1 is only speaker in this line not rear ported. I will have these away from back wall so I am not sure this is really a factor. Out of all the speakers I listed which one would be the best bet?

I had the KG .5s for rears, and a KV-2 center with my Fortes as my original set-up. I later picked up an Academy center.

And then, once I got the wifely approval, I found a second set of Fortes on Ebay to use as rear surrounds.

The difference was very noticable with the Fortes all around - the smaller surrounds just didn't have the oomph - not to mention the benefit of having the more efficient Fortes made balancing everything else out easier.

I think the best bet is to work on the WAF and find more Fortes. Mine liked the fact that I allowed potted plants on top of them - once I added a layer of protection (i.e., piece of plywood) between the speaker and and the saucer.

While the Fortes are much bigger, try approaching it from the floor /air space occupied issue - the KG1s cover an area of 9.25" x 9.4" . The Forte IIs "only" cover 16.5" x 12.25" .

I will have these away from back wall so I am
not sure this is really a factor. Out of all the speakers I
listed which one would be the best bet?

"away from
the back wall," does this mean you are thinking about smallish speakers
on stands? Small speakers on stands will take up about the same
room volume as a full sized Forte, e.g., approx. 12"w x12"d x36"h. Does
your wife realize this? You might also tell her to visualize the
"monolithic" Forte with all that nice veneer vs. a small rectangular
speaker on top of a spindly wood or metal stand; the former would look
more like a piece of furniture than the latter.