Building my home theater, help me with speaker selection! (new reference series)

justin240

OK I've decided to go with the new reference series for my home theater, so far I have 2-rf 62's, rw 12d and harman kardon avr340. I would say I use my system 50% 2 ch. music and 50% movies. Now I'm kinda at a crossroads for my next purchase. Don't get me wrong, I love my floorstanders, but I kinda want more (I think that might be from hangin around here lately [;)] ) now here are my options

1. Stick with the recommended system and buy rc62, and rs 52's and call it a day

2. Go for the gold and buy rf-63's mains, use my rf62's for surrounds and buy the rc-64

Now I know most will say go for the rf 63's, but i do have some concerns. First of all can my receiver power such a system? What makes the rf-63's worth $1000 more than the rf-62's? Will my sub be able to keep up with this system? Are the rf-62's good for surrounds since they are much more "directional" than the rs series surrounds? Reason I want to upgrade to the rf-63's cause I'm really desiring more for 2 ch. music. I never push my speakers to really loud levels, I just want more clarity and a more "full" sound. Would I be much more satisfied with the 63's?

thanks for your input

Hiya Justin, welcome aboard!

If you are into music or HT for that matter, buy the best possible speaker you can afford, they are without a doubt the most important part of your system. The center is of course the most important speaker in the sysytem for movies and some concerts that use the center channel. Therefor, if budget allows the 64 would be the obvious choice assumimg your mains match closely enough. As far as mains go, my choice would be , 83,63,82,62,

center,64,62. I am currently running 83's with a Rc62 center and it sounds fabulous, yes I will upgrade to the 64 soon but if you set your line levels correctly with an SPL meter the results are very, very good.

Many people on here use floorstanders as surrounds and swear by them, espescialy for multi channel music. I personally use Mirage OM260 because they are my "old" mains and again, when set properly the system sounds amazing.

I have not heard your sub, but it should have no problems with any choice you make, the better the speaker the better the system sounds regardless of the sub.

HK AVR 340 Receiver, very nice indeed, tons of power and very clean, will match well with any Klipsch speaker because they are so efficient.

Hope this helps, and its just my opinion but its similar to my setup.

What is the size of room that you have this setup in? Some might also say to look for an SPL meter and set your line levels. That just might be the thing that you are looking for. I would then say to make a judgment from that point to see if you need more speaker. I am currently running RF-83's, RC-64 and RS-62's with an OUtlaw 950 per/pro and Outlaw 7100 amp. I think that this setup is great, but the upgrade bug might bite before I know it. Good luck with the madness.[:P]

James

The RS are closer to 'THX' design if you believe in that sort of thing. For most, especially in smaller rooms, the first pair of surrounds should probably be side di-polar designs. Second pair of surrounds are direct radiators behind in the CENTER of the room, above your head. The exception to this might be a long very narrow room where direct radiators behind you might work better for your 5.1 setup.

I cannot belive the number of folks who call in with their sofas against the back wall- how are you supposed to get 'rear surrounds' with that furniture arrangement? I know I know, that's the only way it'll fit. Like Doc says, it's all a compromise.