Are my La Scalas now perfect?

pauln

In the 2005 La Scala with the AL-4 the new K77F and K55x drivers, both these drivers are about 1.5 to 2 dB down from their previous versions, so the AL-4 compensates for that by being a little hotter in the mid and high end.

There seems to be a general consensus that the older LS in general tend a little hot in the mids and high end.

I have replaced the AL-4 networks in my 2005 LS with BEC Type A's. From what I gather, the mids and tweets should now run about 1.5 to 2 dB lower than doing this in an older LS.

I really like what I am hearing - I don't notice any loss of sensitivity? I do think this is a better balance.

Those are your LaScalas Pauln. If it makes you happy, that is what matters.

That said, I have my doubts. Much time was given developing the AL-4 network to compensate for some of the weaknesses inherent in the new K-55. Without some help, it starts to peter out well before the 6KHz crossover frequency of the Type A. Without some help, it has an annoying return centered at 9KHz. With that in mind, enjoy your simpler Type As. I just would recommend that you keep the AL-4s, "just in case".

Rick

I'm told, that the new type X's do not have a dual phase plug, even though they are solder terminal types.  

So I would imagine that the folks that can re-create the conditions of the 9khz glitch and hear the glitch, will also hear it on the k-55-X driver.

I have the k-55-x, k-55-v with and without solder terminals, as well as the k-55-m, and they sound the same to me reguardless if I use AL-4, AL-3, AA's, AL's, AK-4's, E's, AB's, B-1's, etc.

I guess it's like speaker wire, some folks can tell a difference, others can not.

The new type X's have a pair of little flat tabs of metal as connecton points. The connection wires just slip on firmly - they terminate in a crimped folded double curled sleeve (looks sort of like a curly "'w" seen end on) surrounded by an insulating and strain relieving sock. Similar to the way some wires connect to speakers in musical instrument amps and others.

Were the soldered terminals actual soldered wires to the driver?

From what I have seen in this forum, it looks like the K-55-X (Atlas, AlNiCo, one peice phase plug) = PD-5Vh = K-55-V (push pin); whereas the K-55-V (solderd) and K-55-M (ElectroVoice, ceramic) might sound a little different. The K-55-X (and the K-77-F) are said to be 1.5 to 2dB down (I guess compared to the rest) so I'm not sure why they are said to be the same as the PD-5Vh and K-55-V unless those are a little down, too?

I guess it doesn't matter, I really like the sound with BEC's A's. I think I'll be happy with these drivers until maybe I hear some 902's on 511B's someday...[:^)]