building a AK-3 to replace the AK-2 in 1985 khorns

p.dow

hello - i have done a little parusing here with an eye to updateing my crossoverboard.

at first i was just going to replace the tired capacitors, but then i figured i would just go ahead and do the AK-2 to AK-3 update. steve at klipsch emailed me the AK-2/AK-3 schematics.

now i think it makes better sense to just make my self a new AK-3 board and then save the old AK-2 for something else.

i would like to just get all the parts at one place. i have a 2007 parts express catalog but the solen metalized polypropylene caps do not come in 50uF (they have 47 or 51) and do not come in 13uF (they have 12 and 15) (page 156 of the parts exp. catalog). so i am wondering what to do in this regard ?

the same with the inductor coils i dont see the exact replacement for 125uH and 500 uH ! i dont see the equivilant in the air core inductors (page 157)? nor am i sure of the best guage?

i am also wondering if can use the "Q inductor" for 4mH and the 5mH magnetic core inductor ? (page 159)

thanks in advance for any comments/input.

paul

dunedin, fl

right . i forgot to mention that (the autotransformer..... klipsch has'em too...)

bob - thanks for your information on your AL-3.

for someone like myself who wants to learn/experience -the do-it-yourself aspect of klipsch enjoyment ...... your system deserves consideration, most definitely.

paul

hello lorenzo -thanks for your note.

what i am wanting is a greater mid-punch/fullness/robustness

when the drummer hits a good cymbal there is a lack of life of clarity of sparkle . sounds that i have heard on anothers khorns, and other speakers.

in speaking with steve at klipsch - he listened to my discription (above) and summed it up.... 'its as if someone has a pillow over the front of the speaker sometimes'... thats kind of it. he suggested changeing out the 20+ year old capacitors....

i think the speakers are basically ok so i dont want to go there until i feel the crossover is optimized.

thanks

paul