Sub Help...........PLEASE!!!

Lex Kempo

I have an RW8 and im not overly pleased with my bass... for some reason it doesnt "kick" in at the right time .... i dunno why.

I notice it in scenes that requires a subtle amount of bass...... the sub will kick in halfway though like it was sleeping... wierd eh?

I think my sub isnt configured all to well....... but the thing is... i dont know how to set it up properly!!!

What the Heck does a Low Pass dial do? What aobut the other dial ... with the 0 degrees, 90, 180 etc.....

Can any one help explain things and help me get the most out of this "puny" sub .....

**extra info Crossover set to 80hz ...all speakers to "small" ... sub connected from LFE out on amp to RCA in on SUB (proper cable used)**

If your subwoofer has an 'Auto' setting for power, turn it to 'On' instead. The Auto setting waits until the sub senses a bass signal and then turns itself on, causing the delay that you describe.

Low pass will adjust at what point the subwoofer stops playing bass sound. Most subs can be adjusted from 40Hz to 120Hz. The number you select on the dial will cause the subwoofer to not play anything above that point. Since your can control the subwoofer's low pass crossover from your receiver, you're better off just turning the low pass on the subwoofer itself as high as it can go, which is probably around the 120Hz range. Then you can make adjustments to the crossover frequency on the fly if you choose to.

Set the crossover on the receiver to 80Hz and your mains as small. Set the Low Pass dial on the sub as high as it will go (200Hz?). Start with the phase dial at 0 degrees. Set the distance of your speakers in the reciever's setup menu and then run the speaker level calibration test tone thing to ensure that all your speakers have the same loudness.

Then play some bass heavy music and move the sub around the room - preferably have someone do this while you're sitting in the listening position. You should notice rather drastic changes in the low frequency behavior, so the goal is to find the spot that sounds the most natural (not necessarily the loudest). Once you find this spot readjust the distance settings (if you need to) and read this article which will detail on how to set the phase by ear:
http://www.klipschcorner.com/Articles.aspx?guid=feb5d669-1513-426d-a8fc-29f8aa90869f

Btw, what mains are you running? And how large is the room?

EDIT - I was going to comment on the Auto-On features too, but seems wuzzer beat me to it with our overlapping posts. I would just bypass it altogether and leave the sub on all the time...I suppose I should have asked - how long is this delay that you're noticing?