Finally got my Chorus center channel! & single Chorus FS

leerocker

After about 4 months of checking online every single day, i managed to track down some chori about 2 hours away from home. Now i have what i've been waiting for...3 chorii up front for a perfect timbre match. pretty awesome! Cant understate how great it is to have the exact same speaker across the front. If anyone is in the situation i was in for a while - looking for a single chorus, just let me know. Ive got one just sitting around, not even hooked up. It's oak oil and in great shape. The only thing that i could even speak to is some white dots on the speaker surround. Not sure what they are, but they arent deteriorating the surround or affecting the sound, so i am choosing not to worry about them. They are on the chorus that i am currently using as a center as well. Taking that into consideration, the speaker is probably an 8.5/10. It's pretty sweet. let me know if anyone needs one, i dont want very much for it.

Not to make this a classified ad...more to talk about how excited i am to have matching, decent speakers up front. Now all i need is a nice amp, the 100wpc onkyo is just not cutting it!

post-16777-13819321695138_thumb.jpg

way to go man! That looks (and I bet sounds) schwweeet. And the horizontal CH matches the dimensions of your screen pretty closely.

questions- do you use a sub with this setup? set Chorii to LG or SM? xover point? and what for surrounds?

Thanks and congrats-you might keep that other in case a single comes up, then you could have 4 in the corners if you wanted. But good of you to offer to others. That's how we work it around here!

Thanks!

I've got a def tech prosub80 which i am going to hook up tomorrow. Thats one complaint i have about the chorii, they're a little lacking in the bass dept, especially for a 15". I also think my onkyo is partly to blame, i bet with some real power they'd be more bassy. The CH are set to large for now, but when i get the sub in there ill have the xover set for 80 or 60hz, depending on which sounds better in this room.

Surrounds are a pretty poor match at this point, just using some quintets. When I get a bigger place (hopefully this summer after i get married) then ill move on to some fuller-range surrounds. Not sure which yet, i guess whatever we have room for.

rock on.

Colter,

If I could jump in here. I have 3 Chorus (Chori?) across the front of my HT. All of them are vertical though. I use a Velodyne DD-18 sub equalized for the room with the latest Velo software. A pair of Heresy III in the rear. After spending a lot of time on the Velodyne support page on AVS, I settled with all speakers set at small and crossed at 60. This recommendation came from the some of the head techs at Velodyne. After experimenting with all kinds of settings and placements I find that suggestion to be the best for me. All Chorus across the front is a great set up, but a substantial sub is the right way to go, then it doesn't need to have the volume cranked to keep up with the center and mains. Not looking for boomy just the right amount to fill in the low end.

- Jim

LeeRocker, I'm a little confused, do you have a Chorus or a Chorus II. I might be interested if you have the Chorus.

Also, I used to run a ADCOM 100 WPC amp on my Chorus I's, I had the same complaint as you (Bass Lacking). Then I bought a Sunfire Signature Amp (400WPC) you would not believe the difference. Definately go for more watts, Choruses love power.

Also, while your still thinking upgrade, buy an amp that has balanced XLR inputs you won't regret that either, when you upgrade your preamp get one with XLR outs and you will hear a dramatic drop in background hiss when your cranking those Choruses.

Colter,

If I could jump in here. I have 3 Chorus (Chori?) across the front of my HT. All of them are vertical though. I use a Velodyne DD-18 sub equalized for the room with the latest Velo software. A pair of Heresy III in the rear. After spending a lot of time on the Velodyne support page on AVS, I settled with all speakers set at small and crossed at 60. This recommendation came from the some of the head techs at Velodyne. After experimenting with all kinds of settings and placements I find that suggestion to be the best for me. All Chorus across the front is a great set up, but a substantial sub is the right way to go, then it doesn't need to have the volume cranked to keep up with the center and mains. Not looking for boomy just the right amount to fill in the low end.

- Jim

Jim- I wasn't suggesting that he could do without a setup, just asking pertinent questions. I agree that no HT setup is complete without a sub. Your setup sounds consistent with what I'd suggest. Bet those HIII's in the rear really match up well.

Me, I roll LS over at 90 to THX subs. Nothing like plent of sub!

LeeRocker, I'm a little confused, do you have a Chorus or a Chorus II. I might be interested if you have the Chorus.

Also, I used to run a ADCOM 100 WPC amp on my Chorus I's, I had the same complaint as you (Bass Lacking). Then I bought a Sunfire Signature Amp (400WPC) you would not believe the difference. Definately go for more watts, Choruses love power.

Also, while your still thinking upgrade, buy an amp that has balanced XLR inputs you won't regret that either, when you upgrade your preamp get one with XLR outs and you will hear a dramatic drop in background hiss when your cranking those Choruses.

Sorry for any confusion, they're all chorus I. I'll take some pics today and post them later. Not sure about shipping the speaker. I'd much rather do a local pickup scenario with someone, but if that doesnt work out I think what i could do is bring it to a shipping center and have them pack it up right. Not sure how much that will cost, but id like to get $225 for the speaker itself, which is exactly half of what i paid for the pair. I think for just above 200 bucks, it's pretty hard to get a better center than a chorus!

Thanks for the advice and let me know what you think.