Please help! Cornwall Center using Altec 811 and JBL 2404H Need input...

Spongeworthy

Hey guys,

I am thinking about a custom Cornwall-type hybrid build to match the hybrid corner horns that Bluesboys built for me. I wanted the drivers to match across the front, so I probably will use an Altec 811 horn, a JBL 2404H, and a K-33.

I want to do a vertical mid/tweet in a decorator style using the same Padauk that Bluesboy used for my corner horns.. A couple of questions:

1. Do the ports need to be in the same location as the Cornwall to yield similar results? For example, if I have the speaker laying on its long side, could the same port volume along the bottom yield the same results (as opposed to the side as in a Cornwall laying on the long side)?

2. I intend on measuring the volume of the 811 vs. the K-600 to make sure that the cab volume is consistent. Anything else to look out for in this regard?

Any thoughts/opinions? I want to think this through before I spend the cash for a custom cab and crossover.

Thanks.

1. Do the ports need to be in the same location as the Cornwall to yield similar results? For example, if I have the speaker laying on its long side, could the same port volume along the bottom yield the same results (as opposed to the side as in a Cornwall laying on the long side)?

I infer that you mean the new bottom which actually is he original side. My take is that the port swould be closer to the woofer than intended so you will have to put some baffles behind the woofer that meets the port shelf to offset this. Latter generations of the cornwall increased the distance from the ports and the woofer. You are going to be decreasing it. You need to put in some internal mazes to offset this.

2. I intend on measuring the volume of the 811 vs. the K-600 to make sure that the cab volume is consistent. Anything else to look out for in this regard?

Personally I would not even worry about the difference.

Any thoughts/opinions? I want to think this through before I spend the cash for a custom cab and crossover.

You should mount the 811 so that when you lay the cab on it's side, the 811 is horizontal.

Nothing terribly special about a K33 in a vented box is there? Well there may be, but not in relation to a K33 in a folded horn. There are stock Altec options with 811B that might make sense and you may find a deal on a single. I have a pair of 9844A that aren't in use at the moment. If you're in the area (fill out your profile) you're welcome to try one for a center. Cobble up a tweeter and you'll have an idea of what's what.

How about a Belle or LS bass bin with 811/2404 top?

Nothing terribly special about a K33 in a vented box is there? Well there may be, but not in relation to a K33 in a folded horn. There are stock Altec options with 811B that might make sense and you may find a deal on a single. I have a pair of 9844A that aren't in use at the moment. If you're in the area (fill out your profile) you're welcome to try one for a center. Cobble up a tweeter and you'll have an idea of what's what.

How about a Belle or LS bass bin with 811/2404 top?

Ben.

Good points on the ported box vs. a folded horn. My limiting factor is space above and below my projector screen. I have about 30" below and 18" above the screen to reasonably work with.

My thinking was that a cornwall on it's side with the same drivers might offer the best match. I have a spare La Scala bass bin that I could work with to make a top/bottom split. That may be an option. Hmm.