Cornwall II vs III

What's with the changes and differences between II and III's, because I'm a little confused on (2) different statements:

(1) Mid-drivers used either K51 or K55' correct? Even my spec sheet from that era said K55's

(2) I thought I read somewhere that Klipsched transitioned from plywood to MDF on II and III's, but my II's are plywood/birch.

So I guess my question is, did Klipsch experiement or begin the change during the evolution of the Cornwall II?

• Moderators

I don't know about the first 2 models , but the lll's are hardwood plywood, and the woofer is moved up a few inches. Also the mid and high drivers are titanium, don't know if the horns themselves are different ?

Look for yourself.........................http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/777100.aspx

What's with the changes and differences between II and III's, because I'm a little confused on (2) different statements:

(1) Mid-drivers used either K51 or K55' correct? Even my spec sheet from that era said K55's

(2) I thought I read somewhere that Klipsched transitioned from plywood to MDF on II and III's, but my II's are plywood/birch.

So I guess my question is, did Klipsch experiement or begin the change during the evolution of the Cornwall II?

KWY,

The following link was taken directly from the Klipsch website. I know it doesn't explain the Cornwall IIs, but it does detail the IIIs. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Klipsch went from using 3/4-inch plywood, as found on the Cornwall I/IIs, to 1-inch MDF for the IIIs. Also, the IIIs use bi-wire speaker output terminals, as opposed to the single output pairs found on the I/IIs. I have yet to open up my IIIs to have a look inside, otherwise I'd tell you more. I hope this helps.

William

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/cornwall-iii.aspx#specifications

Klipsch went from 3/4" ply to 1" MDF with the new Lascala 2, NOT the cornwalls...I don't think any cornwall ever used MDF actually.

Hi DrWho,

Have a look at the Klipsch link I provided above, it states in the specifications for the Cornwall IIIs, that the enclosure material is made from MDF.

William

Another aspect of the Cornwall II spec sheet:

Tweeter K79 -- K77 in mine

Woofer K34 -- K33 in mine

Midrange K55 - K51 in mine

and state built from 1986 -1990, but I purchased mine in 1983. Maybe just a mis-print????

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/cornwall-ii-1.aspx#specifications

KWY,

I am by no means an expert on the lineage of the Cornwalls, however, it does appear from the spec sheet you provided above that Klipsch, indeed, experimented with MDF enclosures at sometime during the series II incarnation. Regarding the difference in the drivers between your models and the ones in the spec sheet, all I can ascertain is that they (Klipsch) experimented with those, as well. I suppose what really matters is that they sound good regardless of what materials/drivers were used.

William

Oh yeah.......not a problem on performance! Just gonna be interesting when I go to listen to another set of Cornwall II's and attempt to differentiate the sound. It will be more difficult to discern the differences now w/various preamp/amps and w/Cornwall's containing varying components. As opposed to listening to Cornwall II's w/same internals, but driven by different electrical components.