Building a Home theater, Went to Listen to some Speakers, Unimpressed, Help!

Darien

I've got to find a place that has those so i can listen too them. If I like them i may try to score a couple used ones on EBay or something. I just dont think i can afford them new. I already have a Photography Addiction thats set me back thousands, Nikon Digital SLR's arnt cheap, But its the Tripods, heads and lenses as well as bags filters and flashes that start to add up to 5 figure $$ amounts in a hurry!

Having a no holds budget for the Photography Hobby puts a limit on the HT $$ right now. Thats why i wanted to piece together a home theater system starting with a pair of front channels and use some cheap speakers I had been using from a pre fab 5.1 system that came with the old CD player. I am getting some good feedback from here and I appreciate thats in ernest.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

Thanks for the info. The Forte I's are actually my fathers. I grew up listening to them on Sansui Tube amps and later SS yamahas, Sony's and Finally Pioneer Elites. I like them and if I had more room I would welcome a used pair or more to my apartment. He still has them and he bought then new in 85. Well I am 34 now and Live about 5 states from thier house so i dont get to listen to them very often. He has been able to keep his Speakers mint even though while growing up we moved alot as he was in the Military.

Ahhh, I understand! I thought you were actually in posession of those Forte speakers. Your father still has them and still enjoys them to this day. That is awesome, and I hope they continue to give him many more years of enjoyment. There would be no reason for him to sell those if he is still enjoying them. I could also see that it would be difficult for you to sell them yourself if you did have posession of them.

We even lived Close to you Steve in Aquia Harbour in Stafford for a while. Now he Lives in New Hampshire and its not likely he will ever sell those speakers. There is a guy on here selling some Chorus II's and an academy center I may consider if I cant figure out a plan to size the HT down a bit.

Ah yes, I know where Aquia Harbour is. Got some friends myself that lives up there. Tis not a cheap place to live either. Sound like that if you liked the sound of those Forte's, then I'd definitly say that something like the RF-62's or larger would be your best bet. But, if you are looking to go with a small setup, those RSX reference satellites are pretty darn nice as well.

What exactly are your space restrictions? Budget? And what kind of listening do you plan on doing? (music? movies? loud? quiet?)

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I too live in an apartment and have managed to cram in Chorus II mains, Heresy surrounds, and over 25 cubic feet of subwoofage. [:o] I don't think any of it overpowers my 27" TV either....

But seriously, most of the bass response of a system is determined by the room the speakers are in. Changing the position as little as a few inches can make the difference between suck and best sound you've ever heard. In a typical audio store, there is no way they've got every speaker in the ideal position - not to mention all of the helmholtz resonator action from all the other nonpowered speakers in the room.

Anyways, I think the answers regarding your listening habits would be most beneficial in steering you in the right direction. The best advice I can give is to keep the future in mind. If you're really in love with the Forte sound, then you'll have to consider the possibility of chasing your tail around trying to recreate it with lesser speakers.

Maybe you should bite the bullet and get some Fortes off e-bay or this forum. I replaced JBL L112s back in 1986 with my first set of Fortes. They have been with me through an apartment, a condo, US Navy base housing, another apartment, and 4 houses.

I've always been able to find room for them. Up until the advent of HT, they were music only - any until LFE associated with 5.1 sound came around, I never thought that Fortes needed anything to go lower, as bottoming out at 32 Hz always seemed enough for music repro purposes. And they were so efficient, that I did not need a big amplifier. Except I already had an Adcom GFA-1A, a lovely 200 wpc cube of power, which seemed to make the Fortes very happy.

Since then, I've worked into 5.1, but always based around those original Fortes. Now I have two sets, plus an Academy, a sub, and a 52" LCD. Everything fits into my small media room (~14' x 15'). If your apartment is really small, maybe you should consider going small - like promedia 5.1, or something like that - for the time being.

But I think you should/could find a way to fit Fortes. Plus, by buying used, you give some Klipsch a worthy home, and don't have to pay retail.

Apartments in New Jersey arnt known for thier Square footage. But I am looking for something thats efficient. Doesnt need high volume to produce awesome sound, Full range, Under a grand for a pair. I would consider used just so I could buy up over my budget. This is why I have been so frustrated, because all the nice towers with current asthetics are weak in the lows (at least what ive heard so far.) But I am working on it.

Fortes are known to not be weak in the lows. Go used, then keep them. spend the rest of your budget on other toys, whether it be camera or additional audio/video.

I say this after buying one set of Fortes and an Academy used - both ended up being in better shape than my original Fortes (guess the prior owners wife did not insist on putting plants on top of their speakers...)

Thats a pretty sweet Tv you got there.

House plants on Forte's? Say it aint so!

Tell her that she can put plants on your Forte's when you can wear her Pashmina when your changing the gear oil in your truck.

I have been lurking around checking out used Chrous II's with an Academy Center for sale as well as the usual Ebay auctions etc. I just need some time to work this all out. I have made alot of progress just getting feedback from you Blokes (no I am not English or Austrailian).

What ships were you on when in the Navy?

Welcome to the board.

check out http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct~id~shlc52d62u.htm - 25% cheaper on the Sharp Aquos than Best Buy or Circuit City - they are actually in Edison, NJ.

That was wife #1. Wife #2 and I now believe in glass tops for all plant applications - get them cut at a local place. good for all wood surfaces, including the new coffee table.

this is a great site. I love the fact that the common theme is Klipsch, no matter what level you have. You'll get advice for your application/budget. I lurked here for years trying to figure out what I needed to do to upgrade from an KV-2 center and KG.5s surrounds. Sold both to other forum members. Got the Academy on here through a member.

Got the second set of Fortes through e-bay. The funny thing on those was my first paypay did not cover shipping price. That seller went for it anyhow, then e-mailed me saying - "I looked you up (I used my work e-mail, and my bio is on our web site), and once I saw that you were a USNA grad, I knew you'd be good for the balance." Turns out he flew F-4s for the Air Force during Vietnam.

I spent 3 years on the USS IOWA, then 3 years teaching ensigns how to do their job. If you look real close at my avatar, you'll see me sitting in Sky 1 - the steel cube with the radar dish on it above the bridge, between the 2 CIWS systems. My GQ job was as a 5" battery director officer - meaning I got to sit there with a pair of calibrated binocs, and adjust the shots onto the target, then call for "fire for effect." Ah the old days, when I could parallel park a 886' long, 55,000 ton ship.

I was enlisted in the Coast Guard and was on a Construction tender and a Patrol boat making my way down to Gitmo and doing the Haitian vacation thing picking up the haitian boat people.Was on some small drug busts with less then 600 lbs of dope. My dad was a master chief so i was a legacy but didnt dig the military and now I work in Civil engineering doing topographic surveys. Thats a bad *** ship you were on there. Battleships were the Pride of the worlds Navies.

I also have a HD tv, but its the smaller 42 inch panasonic. Have you seen the special on HD of the Bismark? I thought it was well done.

I live about 40 mins from Edison so I may check out thier shop. Also another great place in NJ to shop, Nice shop and esp thier webiste with amazing prices on alot of good stuff is www.6ave.com

Interesting stuff, I actually almost took a job with lockeed martin up at the EPA in Edison NJ doing strike team stuff. Only that there were 2 years left on a 5 year contract and I didnt want to face a lay off after the 2 years. I just applied to a civil firm in the Old Greenich CT area last week. I see your north of Hartford. Is it cold up there yet?LOL I called out today because it was just too damn cold to be outside GPS'ing. Not quite as cold as being on the ship topside during the winter. But cold enough.

Apartments in New Jersey arnt known for thier Square footage. But I am looking for something thats efficient. Doesnt need high volume to produce awesome sound, Full range, Under a grand for a pair. I would consider used just so I could buy up over my budget. This is why I have been so frustrated, because all the nice towers with current asthetics are weak in the lows (at least what ive heard so far.) But I am working on it.

Where in NJ you can come visit me to listen to the rf-83 anytime? Want bass I can show you bass without a subwoofer

This is very common in listening to stuff at a store. The setup is messed up, period. I can have near any Klipsch product pounding out the bass with a proper set up. I know Klipsch and I know the bass they are capable of (floor standing models). Pretty much all of them will kick out some serious bass. Also, the bigger the bass driver, the more bass you will get. A 6 inch driver will not match a 12 inch. Good Luck in your listening, but you need to do A LOT more work on having the setup at the store maximized to a 2 channel listening experience with full sound going to each speaker. Also, take a heavy bass CD with you so you can hear the pounding! Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

After looking on the used market at the Vintage Klipsch lines of Forte's and Chorus speakers, and reviewing only lower end Late model Klipsch towers that didnt impress. I just couldnt see building a vintage system with huge Forte's. If I had the room then I would do it

I ended up buying the Mirage nanosat speakers. These little things sound great! My dad (who was down visiting) who owns the Forte I's agreed they were some serious little speakers. Although the subwoofer in thier 5.1 system is seriously lacking. I dumped the Mirage sub for a SVS SB12 Plus. The Sub was about the best sub under a grand and in this compact size thats on the market. Thanks for the help guys and I'm sure you havnt heard the last of me!

Jay,

I did read your post about the subs right after i had already ordered mine from SVS. I wanted to hear the RF-7 and the RF83 but I didnt find a shop that had them in stock. I just have a hard time buying anything I havnt heard before. Those are great deals. 6th ave always has great prices on thier website too for most stuff.

Jay,

I did read your post about the subs right after i had already ordered mine from SVS. I wanted to hear the RF-7 and the RF83 but I didnt find a shop that had them in stock. I just have a hard time buying anything I havnt heard before. Those are great deals. 6th ave always has great prices on thier website too for most stuff.

J and R in manhattan has them in demo show.