The Day The Music Died

Tarheel

Kind of a cool story.... My grandmother's sister was married to Waylon Jennings for about five years. They had a daughter that I'm very close to - even today. When my mom was in High School she went to stay with Waylon and my Aunt Lynne for about a year in Arizona. Also... Waylon was a huge Klipsch fan along with fellow country music outlaw Kris Kristofferson. I tried to get my hands on his Klipschorns a few years back, but they had long disappeared. Since his death the Khorns are simply MIA. My cousin asked his current wife Jessie and she didn't know what had become of them. He also apparently had Heresy's and some MCM stuff back in the day.

Here's a little cool info about how Waylon fits into this post about the day rock and roll died...

"In 1958, Buddy Holly arranged Jennings's first recording session, of "Jole Blon" and "When Sin Stops (Love Begins)". Holly hired him to play bass. In Clear Lake, Iowa, Jennings gave up his seat on the ill-fated flight that crashed and killed Holly, J. P. Richardson, Ritchie Valens, and pilot Roger Peterson. The day of the flight was later known as The Day the Music Died. Jennings then worked as a D.J. in Coolidge, Arizona, and Phoenix."

Growing up I heard this story a few times from Waylon himself and from my mom. Right before they left for the plane Waylon joked with the Big Bopper about it. The Big Bopper said to Waylon jokingly that he hoped their bus would freeze. Waylon joked back and replied- I hope your plane crashes... As you can imagine It really bugged him the rest of his life. Crazy story!

Edited by Trentster5172
  • Like 1