Independent Lense: Billy Strayhorn: Lush Life (PBS)

jacksonbart

Anyone catch this one PBS? I stumbled upon this Tuesday night (last night was watching Supreme Court Justices program). It was very interesting for me, since Jazz is relatively a new to me (thanks to this forum). I have a few Duke Ellington CDs, but I am not a huge Big Band Jazz fan in as much as the smaller Quartets/Sextets, etc. But one of my favorites is John Coltranes version of Lush Life. It was really interesting to learn the amazing talent of Strayhorn and the dynamics between him and Ellington. Worth a watch IMO.

Strayhorn was the quiet genius behind Duke Ellington's success.

No. Strayhorn was a collborator, an AMAZING arranger and wrote some INCREDIBLE tunes ( "Chelsea Bridge," "Day Dream," "Johnny Come Lately," "Rain-check" Blood Count," "Clementine," "Take the A Train" and "Lotus Blossom" to name a few) and was a lifelong friend, but even WITHOUT Strayhorn, Ellington would STILL be the great American composer/bandleader of the 20th C. Strayhorn was in NO way "the quiet geniuis behind Duke Ellington's success" -- I think it trivializes both Ellington's AND Strayhorn's massive conributions to say this. . .

Allan:

Not to mention "Lush Life" and "Satin Doll."

Didn't mean to denigrate anyone. Perhaps I should have said "much of" Ellington's success.

James

The Ellington orchestra was already much renowned by the time Strayhorn joined the band in the late 30's, and the orchestra had also produced some of its most well-known pieces before Strayhorn. Between Strayhorn's arrival and the early 40's, the fertile Webster-Blanton period produced some of the greatest compositions in Ellingtonia, during which time Strayhorn penned some of his best work as well. It was a great time of collaboration, but not as developed as their collaboration would be in the later years. So, their critical compositions were often mostly independent of the other composer. In the ensuing years, the only hit that Strayhorn produced was "Satin Doll". As did a number of other individuals during different periods, Strayhorn's contribution to the orchestra and its sound was great, but it was just that, a contribution. Personally, I find both Ellington and Strayhorn to be two of the musical giants of the last century. I rarely go a day without listening to their work. I get the feeling that you simply don't enjoy Ellington's music very much or you literally credit much of Ellingtonia(or what you find worth a while in it) to Strayhorn. Because if you simply meant mass popularity by "success", Ellington had already achieved it before meeting Strayhorn. Also, Strayhorn was an unknown musician at the time and could have remained in obscurity had he not joined the orchestra. It would be ironic and false to state that the recognition Ellington received was due to Strayhorn, when it is quite literally the opposite. So, the implication of your statement seems to be that much of Ellington's artistic success was actually the work of Strayhorn. I would really like to know how you came to this conclusion. I can accept that one prefers Strayhorn's music over Ellington's. But, what you stated is a little different from a simple preference.

OK...

How about "some of" or maybe "a little bit of" ....

Geeze, you guys are touchy.

I wasn't trying to start a debate among Ellington scholars and I didn't intend my comment to be a definative statement. A lot of people don't know who Strayhorn was and I was trying to encourage them to watch the show.

Sure, Ellington was a success before Strayhorn, but the "hits" that even non-jazz or non-big band fans still identify as "Ellington" today such as: "Take the A Train," "Lush Life," "Chelsea Bridge," "Johnny Come Lately," and "Satin Doll" were Strayhorn compositions.

James